Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on the egg tonight ,first time

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone,
Going to make a pizza on the egg tonight and was wondering if anyone had dough recipe to share and the temps and time factor? I have a plate setter (never used yet) do I need a pizza screen? and what size do y'all reccomend? And where her in central Fla can I get one? Im only 1 hour from Tampa and My egg is a Large.
Figure I better board up them there windows, have 4 bags of CB lump
I will not buy and freeze meat durring Hurricane season anymore after this year and $300.00 of meat spoiled.
Thanks for the replies and good luck to all my Fla neighbors this weekend. David in Spring Hill Fla.
BTW- when is the next event in Ocala? I thought there was one 2 times a year?

Comments

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    David n Spring Hill Fla,[p]I did some pizza last saturday using a recipie from king aurthurs flour. don't have it with me but they might have it on their web site. it was a thin crust. mightly tasty. Or check out pizzamaking.com.[p]I cooked mine directly on the platesetter. just sprinkled a little corn meal on it. Temp was about 475.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    David n Spring Hill Fla, Here's a great dough recipe below courtesy of QBabe and her husband Mr Hyde. It's killer AS IS, but I have modified it, by substituting 1 cup of flour with one cup of wheat flour. [p]I made pizza last night with this dough recipe, and my toppings were:[p]Goat cheese spread on the crust directly
    then strained chopped spinach
    then diced roma/plum tomatos
    then sliced sundried tomatos in olive oil
    then mozzarella(not alot)[p]I dont use a screeen and cooked the zah at 425 for about 18 minutes.[p]Also, I told you where to get smoking wood in my post below.
    I used cherry on the pizza last night. Smokey pizza rules.[p]Scott[p]Well, it took a while for me to get it all written up, but here is Mr. Hyde's Pizza Recipe for those who asked.... [p]For the Dough...
    1 pkg. active dry yeast (NOT the Rapid Rise kind)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 1/4 cups warm water (105° - 115°)
    3 1/3 cups high gluten flour (King Arthurs)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    3 tsp extra virgin olive oil [p]In a 2-cup measuring cup, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, maybe 3-5 minutes. Using a food processor with the dough blade attached, add flour, salt and 2 tsp olive oil to the bowl. Using the dough setting, pour the yeast liquid through the feed tube as fast as the flour will absorb it. Process until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Continue to process about 30 more seconds to knead the dough. Put a little olive oil on your hands and lift the dough out. Coat the dough with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil, transfer to a large Ziploc bag and seal bag. Let rise in a warm place for about an hour. Punch dough down and let rise a second time (another hour). When ready, put a little olive oil on your hands and remove dough from Ziploc bag. Cut into two pieces and form into 2 dough balls. Place dough balls on an oiled cookie sheet and flatten into 2 discs (about 1” thick). Let proof uncovered in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight. Makes two 14” pizzas. Meanwhile, prepare toppings for pizzas. [p]When ready, set cooker up for an indirect cook with platesetter legs down and pizza stone on top. Preheat cooker, setter, and stone to 550°. While cooker is preheating, spray pizza screen with Pam and make pizzas. [p]For the Pizzas...
    Roasted garlic infused olive oil (about 1 tbsp)
    1/2 to 3/4 cup red sauce (spaghetti, marinara, pizza, whatever you have)
    Parmesan cheese (about 2 tbsp), grated
    Mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 lb), shredded
    Roasted garlic (5-6 cloves), chopped
    Toppings (onion, peppers, olives, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms)
    ***above estimated amounts are for one pizza [p]Take a dough ball and roll out to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. For best results, throw pizza dough and spin in the air so that centrifugal force moves the dough to the outside of the circle to form a thicker crust around the edge. If you’re not comfortable with throwing the pie, you can stretch it by hand. Place the dough onto the pizza screen and shape as needed. Lightly brush dough with garlic-infused olive oil until lightly coated. Add sauce, starting in the center and spreading in a circular fashion out to the edges, using the bottom of a spoon or ladle. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Then sprinkle with about 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese. Add roasted garlic and additional toppings, if desired. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese. Place pizza screen with pizza into cooker and bake for about 5 minutes. Check pizza for bubbles, and if present, poke with a long-handled fork to deflate. Also, turn pizza 180° to get an even browning of the crust. Let cook 3-5 more minutes. If it looks like the top is done but the crust needs a little more browning, use the peel to lift the pizza off the screen and place directly on the stone for another minute. Leave the dome open so the toppings don’t get overdone. Remove from cooker and let sit for 5 minutes before eating. [p]Enjoy,
    Tonia
    :~) [p][p]

• David n Spring Hill Fla,
    Here is my pizza hints and tips web page. I'd use a pizza stone on top of the plate setter to get more ceramic mass twixt the pie and the fire. However, if you don't have a stone yet, you can use the plate setter.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • We use pizza dough from the deli at Publix. My favorite is bbq chicken. My wife makes the sauce,1/2 bbq sauce and 1/2 pizza sauce. Pizza on the EGG is a treat you gonna LOVE!![p]Good Food, Good Fun, Good Eggin !!
    Poppasam

• katman,
    How long did it take to cook? at that 475.

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    One thing I've found useful, i.e. I've made my share of mistakes before finally doing this, is to make sure to let the Egg stabilise at your cooking temp for a good 15-20 minutes before cooking. If you don't, the platesetter and stone won't be up to temp, even though your thermometer says it is hot enough. That mass has to get hot, hot, hot before the crust will bake underneath the toppings.[p]As an aside, I sat at the counter at a Wolfgang Puck's restaurant while I was traveling through an airport recently and watched the pizza-maker making things in their "wood-fired" oven. It is kept at a constant 576 degrees by gas, with wood for flavoring. Cook time appeared to be between 6 and 8 minutes. They do have the advantage of using a peel at eye height, so they can check the doneness very easily.[p]Good luck - Bob V
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    pizza3.jpg
    <p />David n Spring Hill Fla,[p]The link is to the recipe I use for Pizza, Stromboli and Garlic Knots. It also talks about my setup. My wife will only eat egged pizza now.[p]Chuck[p]

[ul][li]Pizza Dough[/ul]
  • Chuck,
    this dough recipe is a winner!!!. .. .we love the strombolis. .. .

• The Naked Whiz,
    How thick should a pizza stone be and the width of it as well for my large? are they in most kitchen stores in the malls? Thanks, David

• David n spring hill fla,
    I use a 16 inch stone and it works great for me since I like to make 14 inch pies. BGE makes a 14 inch stone that also works great, but I got the 16 inch stone for the bigger pies. (I have a 16-inch from Crate and Barrel, a 14-inch bge and a 12-inch bge. All work great.) You can look around at the malls and you might find one. The thicker the better, in my mind. Just make sure you preheat the stone and don't put a cold stone into a hot oven. Some stones can take it, many cannot. Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    David n Spring Hill Fla,[p]Borders has already given you our recipe and information on pizza, so I'll just skip to the Ocala question.[p]It's once a year, at Silver River State Park in Ocala. The next Florida Eggfest is scheduled for the third weekend in March, 2005. The Meet and Greet will be on Friday night (the 18th) and the main cooking day is Saturday (the 19th).[p]I'll be getting the website up and running when we get a bit closer.[p]Hope to see you there!
    Tonia
    :~)

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    David n Spring Hill Fla,[p]You don't need a pizza screen, but I sure do like mine for ease of putting it in the egg and taking it out. I think it also helps avoid scortched crust. I a two 14"ers and found them at a restaurant supply store. [p]Egg'd pizza is dyn-O-mite.[p]Paul