Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Fresh basil heaven

Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,508
edited 7:17AM in EggHead Forum
I'm makin' a big pot of sghetti sauce on the egg. Browned 2 batches of fresh ground brisket then deglazed the pan with cupla vidalia onions, celery, red bell peppers and some beef broth. Cooked up some shrooms in butter and garlic. Added them all together with a buncha cans of tomaters. Simmering now and smells fantastic.

But the killer part...I pinched off a few branches from our basil plant to chop and throw in at the end. The smell of the fresh crushed leaves has gotta be the most amazing aroma ever. Guessing it takes the sghetti sauce over the top.

Cheers yalls.
Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Daang, sounds over the top even before the basil. :)
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Does wonders on pizza too. -RP
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    betta than sex!! :evil: :whistle: :blush:
    Speak for yourself. :whistle:-RP
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,508
    Ya know, I was thinking about climaxes and all that kinda stuff. Amazing how many levels it hits your senses. If you could keep that smell for long, it would make an amazing fragrance for lotsa things.

Gotta get upstairs and throw in the pasta.

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,239
    I agree with the fresh basil for added flavor. I like purple basil or Thai. Thai for oriental meals and purple for sauces.

Purple Basil

100_2240.jpg

This bush of 5 years froze this past cold spell and the leaves were saved and the branches make great smoking wood for pork and poultry.
    Chris, I break off a branch and put it in a tall glass of water next to the sink. It will grow roots, when the urge hits me I just rub a couple of the leaves together and fill the kitchen with aroma. -RP
    I tried some Indian basil at the farmers market last weekend, very pungent, like a cross between mint, basil, and cilantro. -RP
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Just a hint I've learned for better basil Richard ... trim it back before it flowers and you'll get more and stronger leaves. This applies to most herbs.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,239
    I agree with the trimming, but this bush allowed bees to gather the pollen and the flower petals, being stronger in flavor actually gave a great fragrance to the sauces.
    We got summadat too. All the stuff that goes in Pho, and a few more. Wish I could capture some of those flavors in a rub, but there ain't much flavor left when they are dry.

Beers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Aw man, really?? All year long? I gotta do dat.

Hope you are well, and howdy to Kim. Tell her Ditzy (the gourd pig she made) is in a prominent part of our shop to greet visitors, and still in perfect condition!
    Cheers bro
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Wow, I gotta do that. I noticed the flowers coming out, and the leaves are MUCH smaller. You think they are more fragrant when they are small??

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    I HEAR YA!We got Basil runnin out the ears.Enough pesto to last a lifetime.It's Mitee Tastee though! :)
  • Bobby-QBobby-Q Posts: 1,993
    Hey RS,

Time for you to start making some basil oil, mmmm mmmm.
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Good call brother. I love basil on everything!
  • Desert FillyDesert Filly Posts: 1,042
    do you need to tell all our secrets....ha
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Chris........glad to know my master spice friend appreciates that incredible plant....I love it too!!
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,730
    at the seasons end, make sure to stuff a bag and freeze some for winter use, much better than dried. it turns black in the freezer so its only good for soups and sauces, but it still tastes alot better than dried
  • mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm
    love the aroma of fresh basil and fresh rosemary on my hands :woohoo:
    sprinkled some fresh basil over garlic/EVOO pasta and topped with a small Roma -- all fresh from the garden last eve B)

your sauce sounds devine B)