Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg welded shut

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read about it, it finally happend last night. Last night we had a big grease fire and somehoe melted the gaskets together and now the egg is welded shut.[p]I plan on going around with a putty knife to unglue the 2 gaskets. Anyone have any other suggestions? [p]And where can I find info about replacing the BGE gasket with another type, that can handle more heat[p]thanks for any help[p]Colin

Comments

• BC, Since the gasket is still there, only remove adhesive from one side and leave all the rest attached to the other side. You'll have a thick gasket on one side...

• Wyldwood
    Options
    BC,
    What about lighting some fire starter cubes and putting in the bottom, or dropping them the chimney to melt the grease that is welding them together.? Just a thought. It's what I would try if it happened to me. Can't make it any worse.
    Wyldwood

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Wyldwood,
    It isn't grease that glues the gasket together. The gasket is a synthetic material that melts when excessive heat is applied. The two pieces of gasket material have melted, fused, and are now for all intents and purposes, one piece of gasket. The starter cube trick only works on wet gaskets that freeze shut.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    BC, I had one that welded itself closed. I got the trusty Xacto knife and got busy. Turned out that the gasket was not centered on the rim and only the excess hanging into the Egg was welded. Took about 10 minutes to cut and trim.[p]LVM