Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Best Memphis Barbeque?

CrimsonTideGirl
CrimsonTideGirl Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are going to Tunica tomorrow and have decided to drive to Memphis and give their barbeque one more try. On our last visit we ate at The Rendezvous (not good at all) and Blue's City Cafe (it was OK), so I am looking for some recommendations. Has anyone eaten at Interstate or Neely's? We are open to any suggestions. Thank you!!!

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    I am not an expert, but I would vote Cozy Corner. I enjoyed everything except the barbeque spaghetti.

Bon chance in Tunica!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Interstate and Neely's are both good.So is Tom's.
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    You might consider going south to Clarksdale. I hear Abe's is good. My buddy Grillin Guy went there a few weeks ago and said it was good. About the same distance as Memphis, if not just a bit less.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    On our last visit over the 4th, we never ate a drop of bbq. We ate at Pete and Sam's (italian) and at Gus's (fried chicken)

As for BBQ, I would suggest Interstate and Germantown Commisary. Firetruck may chime in as well.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Neely's is very good, at least it used to be. It has been a few years since I spent any time in Memphis, the Rendevous used to be excellent. Pat Neely is just as nice as he appears to be on TV. I don't know if he spends much time in the resturant these days.
    Please report back :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Crimsongator
    Even our friends in Memphis say the Rendezvous is hit and miss now. I actually love their BBQ chicken nachos and did a close version at eggfest 2 years ago.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    From Tunica you wouldn't have to go all the way into Memphis. I like Tommy Leonards. SW Corner of 61 and Goodman road. Pass it up, and keep going cross over I-240 and 61 becomes 3rd, a 1/4 mile past 240 on the left is Interstate. Good Loney, rib tips, and ribs.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Too bad Rendezvous is on the skids. Years ago (70's), it was the BBQ rage in Memphis! Perhaps a new generation did it in (happens alot in the restaurant business). As far as Neely's goes, is it nicknamed "The Love Pit"? Kinda, sorta, think (as Emeril would say) I'd go elsewhere...
  • Capt Frank
    Well, as I said, Neely's used to be really good when Pat first took it over from his dad. It has been about eight years for me, so I really don't know, but I hate to see that one going down too. Please let us know your thoughts :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Been a few years but back then the two "in" places were Rondezvou and Corky's.

I have heard you guys on Rondezvou but nobody has commented on Corky's. Have eaten there several times when passing through and staying in Memphis and really liked it.

Any recent comments on Corky's??
  • Capt Frank
    Corky's is good, but it sort of has that resturant "chain" feel to it.
    Just my .02 ct

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Corky's is more like YUPPIE-Q.
  • I agree with your assessment of Rendezvous. Worst ribs I have ever eaten. Ate at Corky's and their ribs were wonderful. Onion rings to die for.

Kemo
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I can't speak for the original Corky's in Memphis and I'm sure it was good but their franchise operation near us closed within the first year. I ate there once and it was bad, but I even went back 4 months later to give them a second chance and it was even worst!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    +1 for Germantown Commisary
  • Bgolf4me
    Bgolf4me Posts: 16
    In Memphis we had back ribs at BB Kings. I thought they were great. Great atmosphere, beer and music.

Recently ate at Corky's outside of Nashville. I got the ribs wet and dry. Dry was a little hard to eat, but the wet were fantastic. We will be stopping there again.
  • Thank you all for the tips. We may have to make 2 trips to Memphis because it looks like Interstate and Corky's are both getting good reviews. I am getting hungry thinking about it. I can eat bbq two days in a row. :)
  • Crimsongator
    Especially for the banana pudding
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    I'd definitely pick Interstate over Corky's. Heck, I still think a lot of the Bar-B-Q Shop. And heckevenmore, I really miss the chopped sandwiches at Topps (haven't been to Memphis in a couple of years; used to live there).
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    I'd definitely pick Interstate over Corky's. Heck, I still think a lot of the Bar-B-Q Shop. And heckevenmore, I really miss the chopped sandwiches at Topps (haven't been to Memphis in a couple of years; used to live there).