Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to store B. Butt for eating next day?

Options
crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking 2 Boston Butts Thursday night for completion around noon Friday. About 4:00 pm Friday we are leaving Dallas to drive to Destin FL.

We are having a family BBQ contest Saturday night in Destin. Thus, I need to transport my Boston Butts in the car to Destin and reheat on Saturday night.

Assuming the cook is done about noon on Friday what is the best option?

1. Wrap and let it rest for a couple of hours; pull and then wrap for cooler and ice for the trip; or

2. Wrap, let it rest and pack in cooler with ice for the trip without pulling.

I am assuming I will wrap, put in towels and let it rest in the cooler either way before I pack it for the trip.

Next question. What is the best way to reheat under either option 1 or 2 above?

Maybe there is no "right" asnwer and either way will work. I just want a couple of opinions. Thanks in advance.

Chris
__________ Chris

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    How will you be rewarming?

I would consider par-cooking to get some smoke flava, then finishing in oven in Destin.
  • crmilt
    Options
    I assume in the oven but that is why I am asking advic ehere.
    __________ Chris
  • Phrettbender
    Options
    I'd cook, wrap and pull. Package the pulled meat in large plastic bags putting a portion of the juice in with each bag. To reheat I add a bit of apple juice to the bag and place it in boiling water until hot. You won't know it wasn't just pulled!
  • crmilt
    Options
    Thanks for the help Bacchus and Phrettbender.

Chris
    __________ Chris
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I would say leave the butts intact...re-warm and pull at the site...that will retain the most moisture...unless you have a foodsaver...I fail to understand what the others are calling juices...when I do pulled pork the drip pan ends up burnt..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I definately recommend against pulling before rewarming, unless you want to serve leftover pulled pork, which isn't nearly as good as fresh cooked, IMO. My suggestion of par-cooking is that you will have smoke flavor from the egg, but also fresh gelatinous moisture resulting from recently coming through the plateau. I think taking to 140ish, allowing to cool on a platter at room temp, refrigerating, then finishing in oven(unwrapped) until 195-200 is the best bet.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    ... unless you want to serve leftover pulled pork, which isn't nearly as good as fresh cooked, IMO.

FINALLY!! Someone who agrees with me!! It ain't even close! :)

I know a guy who cooks butts in his oven, start to finish, all the time. He loves 'em, but then, he's never had an egged butt. I like the idea of a partial egg cook in this case. I've never done it, but it seems worth a try under these circumstances. No idea if there are any food safety issues though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• crmilt
    Options
    Now it is starting to get interersting. I knew there would be different opinions on this subject.

I do not know what time we will arrive in Destin and do not know how long it would take in the oven if I par-cook. Thus, I am probably ruling that option out.

Still need to decide if I pull then travel or travel then pull!
    __________ Chris
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    I would pull and vacuum seal if you have one. Did some for the wife in Feb before I left to go back overseas and she served some for her friends in May and that raved about it, some of her friends hubbies thought it was fresh cooked.