Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving the Egg

Options
Bgolf4me
Bgolf4me Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to move my egg (large) off of my patio. This involves taking it down 4 steps. I wasn't here when it was delivered last year. Do you lift it out of the nest or pick it up nest and all? I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Bob

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes, lift the Egg from the nest. You'll want the Egg's center of gravity to be as low as possible.

Do a google for "PotLifter". Seems to be the safest and easiest way to tote an Egg.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    The safest way is to remove all the inside pieces, and re-assemble in the new position.
    However, it really depends on how active you are, and how much assistance you have.
    For the sake of an extra 10 minutes, take it apart, it doesnt take long and you will never forgive yourself if you break it.
    Whatever you do, dont use the hinge at the back to lift the egg. The hinge is liable to slip off, and then you really have a problem, picking up pieces of egg.
    Greetings from Ireland, Roger
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    If by yourself, then by all means take the insides out and move it piece by piece. Once the insides are out, open the top dome and reach in and reach through the open bottom vent. That is probably the best way to lift it. If you can't lift it that way, you need to get more help since you're liable to drop it no matter which way you try. If you have a equally strong friend, each of you can place a hand underneath and one hand on the back (not the hinge - the back of the egg) and lean it and lift.

They do however, now have a device that allows you to tilt it back onto two wheels and has a handle THAT IS DESIGNED TO BE GRABBED for rolling it. You can easily lower it down 4 steps one step at a time (or you could put two boards down the stairs and just roll it down those). Any time you're moving the egg, it's a good idea to have two people (even if one is not that strong - like a very petite wife). The second person moves along just in front of the egg ready to grab it- JUST IN CASE.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    As one of my favorite comedians used to say "How big a boy are ya?"

I can lift and carry a large, but I myself am pretty large. I've had the rather unfortunate experience of carrying my large up and down a flight of stairs. Taking out the firebox and ring will save you about 25-30 pounds. But it is still heavy.

I highly recommend you enlist some help and that you remove it from the nest and be extremely careful. They aren't real tolerant of being dropped.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options