Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lbs, internal temps, external temps, etc.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For all us newbies is there a chance all the experioence smokers give us a range of the 3 items below. Are the estimates below close to a universal understaning in the smoking world? Just checking as tomorrow morning I will smoke my first butt and brisket.[p]1. Butts - 6-9 lbs, cooking between 230-250 degrees with final internal temp (for pulling) at 195-205.[p]2. Brisket - 5-6 lbs, cooking at 230-250 degrees with a final internal temp of 175-195 (at 195 too dry?)[p]3. Ribs - 4.8 lbs or less, cooking at 230-250 degrees. Doneness based upon 1/4" of bone showing and/or meat easily pulling from bone. [p]Howard

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Purty good rundown, Howard.
    For the brisket, I start checking for tenderness around 180. Depending on how long it has been in the plateau, and the specific cut of meat you have, it could be tender then. Sometimes ya gotta go to 190 or 195....just depends when that particular muscle wants to "give up".[p]On the ribs, the meat pulling back from the bone does not seem to be a reliable guage. If you pick the rack up in the center, it should droop pretty good, and almost want to split apart when it is done.[p]I think you got it down! Have fun with the cook....and the eatin!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ