Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bar towel tenderloin

Reeltachy
Reeltachy Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about trying the recepie from the Naked Whiz website. I was wondering if anybody has tried this? Any problems or pitfalls you saw would be appreciated. They used 2 tenderloins but I am just going to do one and adjust accordingly. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I will take some pics and post as my search on the forum did not reflect that many if any have tried this.

Here is the link: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/bartoweltenderloin/bartoweltenderloin.htm

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    hadn't even seen that recipe much less heard of it. Rather than the burnt towel which leaves this egger a little cool I'd suggest mixing an egg white into the kosher salt so as to make a paste that would stick to the meat. I have egged a prime rib that way a few times. When done you break off the hard shell which is the result.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I totally agree with RRP. Kosher salt, and egg whites till the salt feels like wet sand. A bit on the bottom, and then cover the whole thing. Indirect until 137 internal (you can actually pull about 132*, it will continue to cook while resting, just make sure it hits 137*). Allow to cool enough to handle, and the salt will come off in pieces.

Here's a couple pics from a beef rib roast we did....

DSC01736.jpg
    (don't forget your probe thermo!)

DSC01743.jpg
    Cooked and resting....

DSC01744.jpg
    Revealing the goodness inside....

Just so I don't leave you wondering....
    DSC01749.jpg
    It was delicious, and not overly salty at all!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Matter of fact I have done this cook with a Beef Tenderloin!

I was scared...but it was fun and turned out great!

You'd have to do a search on the net...but I think Steven Richelin did a segment on this method on his old BBQ U show a few years back.

The Whiz's recipe is much like what I/he did, 'cept I used beef.

Be bave...but practiice with pork tendies...lol!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    This looks like an updated version from the old show...but here's a link to the basic recipe I mentioned.

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=197&EpisodeID=22

HTH!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Reeltachy
    Thx guys. I will try the slat/egg method for sure. However, my ultimate goal is to reproduce this over an open campfire at our annual Sons of Knute Groumet and Fly Fishing Club trip in November.
  • Reeltachy
    Thx Chubby! I will give it a look. By the way, I love your signature quote!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    That's 137? :huh: I need to really learn what happens after 125. :laugh:
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Reeltachy:

The fun part is that with Chubby that is a TRUE statement :laugh: :P :whistle:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I should have clarified the difference in temps from beef to pork I guess.... :laugh: . That was probably pulled at 120*. Pretty sure it hit 130 in the rest.
  • Chubby
    I can't claim it as mine...but I can claim it...lol!!!
    It's actually off the back of an old coffee mug!

P41301374.jpg

Still strikes me funny...after many years!!

Nice to meet you!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    That is exactly what this method was intended for, the campfire. Wrap 'er up and toss 'er in. No need for any fancy egg white stuff around a camp fire. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    ...You couldn't use a tube sock? They always seem to come out of the washer in uneven numbers anyways.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Tube socks contain elastic usually. You want to be sure there is nothing there but cotten.
    The Naked Whiz
  • cheesecloth would be cheaper and would do the job just as well... no?
  • Chubby
    You need like cotten sheeting...or something tightly woven, (and wraped tightly btw) so it will solder..instead of just flaming up!