Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One of my most useful accessories...

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One windy night a couple of years ago my large BGE, which was sitting in its official BGE large table, scooted across my patio on the table’s castors and tipped off the edge onto the lawn. The only breakage was the plate setter; one of its three legs had broken off. But a good thing came out of the trauma.[p]I replaced the plate setter but, rather than throw out the old one, I found I tile saw and laboriously removed the other two legs then sanded down the sharp edges until I was left with the 9 or 10” pizza-stone-like remainder. This has been extremely useful for indirect cooking purposes. I place it on the cooking grid and then my dutch oven, roasting pans, drip pans etc. all sit on the former plate setter. It does a great job of evening out the heat distribution and prevents scorching of the juices in the pans.[p]By the way, after the windy night incident, I removed the wheels from the table; it had been top heavy and unstable anyway, and a young kid could easily have pulled the whole thing down on top of him/herself.[p]Best wishes to all from a rain-soaked and wind-lashed North Georgia.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)