Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella versus Jambalaya

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm preparing for a BBQ next weekend and have been looking at different recipes in addition to standard BBQ fare.

I recently did a Paella and was pleased with the results. Although I've never done one before, I thought it might be interesting to make a Jambalaya. As I researched recipes, I found that the ingredients and preparation for both dishes were very similar. I read on the net that Jambalaya was derived from Paella. With the exception of some spices, are these dishes essentially the same?

Michael

Comments

• duchunter
    duchunter Posts: 110
    Options
    Michael,
    Yes they are along the same lines but Jambalaya has more seasonings (spicy), if your are having guests that you might be worried that my not like the spicy type seasoning then I would stick with the Paella, my favorite!!, and you can make different styles of Paella, all seafood, all chicken, all veggie, or all mixed together, it is very easy to modify a Paella with out having a lot of extra work! Just my .02 worth,
    Good luck Andrew

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker

• RGBHV
    Options
    We were planning a couple different Paella dishes - 1) seafood, 2) chicken, maybe even a vegetarian.

I suppose I could replace one of those dishes with a jambalaya for folks that like something a little more spicy.

I agree, the dish is really versatile, a lot easier to make than I first thought and it's pretty forgiving.

Michael
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Mike I have made a few Paellas and very few Jambalayas post some pics and recipes if you make one I am interested.Here is a favorite of ours.
    IMG_0516.jpg

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm a big fan of both, but as far as my recipes go, the only thing they have in common is rice and possibly meat. All of the other ingredients, along with the technique for making them are quite different.

For me, some of the defining elements of a paella are: the combination of flavors from saffron and smoked Spanish paprika, richness from the (tomato based) sofrito, and a nice crust on the bottom (the socarrat).

My jambalaya - a Cajun-style recipe I learned on one of my trips to New Orleans - has none of the above. No tomatoes at all, for one thing. The deep richness here comes from the repeated browning and deglazing of the meat and some of the vegetables - celery, onion, bell pepper - the "trinity". No saffron. No crust.

Not to mention, the rice itself is different - long grain white for jambalaya (I just use Uncle Ben's here), and short grain "bomba" for paella. Each creates a very different texture to the final dish.

I love, love, love 'em both! But I consider them quite different from each other. As a side for a BBQ, I'm inclined to go with jambalaya... but that's just me :-)

__Jason
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Jason's spot on: the two are cousins, not fraternal twins. Aside from the differences already enumerated, the cooking itself differs: paella is usually cooked in an open pan, while jambalaya is always cooked in a tightly closed pot. Some jambalaya does contain tomatoes, though I tend to prefer the kind without. Green pepper, celery, onions, garlic, a hit of thyme, cayenne pepper, and parsley & green onions are the key (non-protein) flavors in most jambalaya.
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Hi Jason:

I would agree that the flavours - some spicing - cooking techniques - and end products are different.

I was surprised when I looked up the recipes (and there were lots of them for both dishes) contained similar ingredients (proteins, veg, stock, rice) and yet the tastes were quite different. It seemed to me that the spicing and cooking technique were the differentiating factors.

As I mentioned in my original post, I saw a reference indicating that jambalaya was derived from Paella. I thought that was interesting - I suppose that inspiration comes in many forms.

Anyway, I'm liking the idea of making a jambalaya for my upcoming BBQ. I will do my best to do both dishes justice.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Ah, open pan paella versus a closed pot for jambalaya.

I think I need to study some more. Good thing the BBQ is next weekend.

Thanks for the information.

Michael
  • guzzijason
    Options
    Michael - one thing I've noticed with jambalaya is that much of the spicy "heat" tends to be rendered from the sausage itself. If I use a good spicy andouille, I find I need to add relatively little additional seasoning. So if you want to be safe and keep it on the mild side, you might want to start off with a very mild sausage. Can always let people spice it up with tabasco for themselves if they want.

__Jason
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Nice pic Dale!

I made my first Paella a few weeks ago - BTW your dishes were part of the inspiration.

I've never made a Jambalaya. I posted today as I figured that the eggsperts would jump in with advice - and they have.

My initial thought was that the dishes were fairly similar (spicing, etc. different) and that I would make the Jambalaya in a paella pan. I see from Hungry Celeste that the Jambalaya should be made in a closed pot. Like a dutch oven.

I'm glad I posted as this info will be helpful in the planning of the cooks.

Thanks all!

Michael
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Michael,

Interesting topic. I am doing up a paella tonight -- it is one of my favourites, especially after buying that paella pan recommended by Little Steven. I am thinking of trying a jambalaya at some point so I would be interested in hearing about your eggsperiment next weekend.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Tom,
    I'm curious where Little Steven sent you for your
    Paella pan?
    Reason being, after I come back next week from a camp out where the resident chef makes a different Paella every night, I'm told, I'll probably be in the market for one...

Also, I wonder if a lid could be located for it, that would allow Jambalaya to be made in it?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Love them paellas. As previously mentioned jambalaya is similiar. Instead of a top for your paella pan try HDAF for the jambalaya.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=715388&catid=1
  • RGBHV
    Options
    I bought mine for $15.00 at a store called Benix - I'm not sure if you have them in the US.

I was really impressed with them so I bought a few more. Cook and serve in the same dish - now I like that!

Michael
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    See the response I gave Gussijason in another thread ...
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=922113&catid=1. I'm not sure if I would be thinking of cooking something on the egg with a lid ... it would impede any smokey flavour that would be picked up during the cook.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• RGBHV
    Options
    Nice!

Great looking presentation!

HDAF - ah...heavy duty aluminum foil - kinda like wd40 and duct tape. Ha! ha!

Michael
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Paella often has three or more meats for one, also many Jambalaya's are more of a stew or chili consistency in my experience. On my blog you will see two very recent recipes and photos of BOTH paellas and jambalaya...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Jambalaya. Here is recipe to get some ideas from.

Jambalaya, Couzan Billy, YB

I know there are many Jamba recipes out there. This one is unique in that you throw everything into the pot and cook. No making a roux, no browning the meat, no cooking the rice. It is ideal for doing on the grill. Matter of fact, I cook this for Friday night supper at the cook-offs! This recipe I adapted from one given to me by my good friend Bill Conklin…Couzan Bill, a real Cajun!

Jambalaya.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb converted rice, uncooked
    1 Can can French onion soup
    1 8 Ozs Can Tomato sauce
    1/4 lb butter, cut into pieces
    1 cup onions, chopped
    1/2 cup green onion, minced
    1 small green pepper, diced
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp crab boil
    2 Tbs Cajun seasoning
    2 Tbs Tabasco
    1 lb smoked sausage
    1 lb crawfish tails (or shrimp)
    3 Pieces Chicken breasts, cubed
    2 to 3 cups chicken stock

PROCEDURE:
    1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or simply place pot on the grill.
    2 Combine everything in a 5-quart ovenproof pot. Start with 2 cups of chicken stock. Mix well. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours or longer.
    3 You may add more chicken stock based on the consistency you want.
    4 Stir before serving. Keeps well.

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ GURU

Source: BGE Forum, YB, 2006/02/11

From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ GURU

Larry is right in that this is a wonderful recipe and I do it often at contests but it is a closed pot recipe like most Dutch oven recipes and needs to be adjusted for the Egg if you do it there without a cover. If you plan to use a cover, there is no gain to using the Egg for this fine treat.

Ok, for the Egg with an open pot, change the 2-3 cups of chicken stock or broth which would be 16 to 24oz to about 70 to 84oz or about 5-6 cans of stock. With the lid off the pot, you will boil a lot of the liquid away. I also up both of the onions to 1-1/2 chopped, and the green to a full cup. Garlic from 3 cloves to about 6 cloves and the Cajun seasoning from 2 TBL to 3 TBL. I would also suggest that you use the crawfish and not the shrimp as it is a much better meal this way.

This needs to cook at a very low simmer for about an hour and time it when it gets to the simmer. It may take 2 hours to get to the simmer. In my cooker and with my setup, I can keep it at a low simmer at about 310 dome degrees.
  • guzzijason
    Options
    My experience has been the opposite... jambalaya relatively dry, much like paella, which is also dry.

Gumbo, on the other hand...

__Jason
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    This one sure looks appealing, I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks for posting!
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    This one sure looks appealing, I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks for posting!