Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a little crazy after having pulled pork, BB ribs and shrimp on the Egg and decided to get "back to basics". So we did stuffed cabbage rolls on the Egg last night. Cooked 'em indirect at 350° for an hour. Man, that's a keeper! While I didn't add wood chips or anything the rolls picked up just enough smoke from the lump. I swear it added a sweeter taste. I will DEFINATELY be doing this again![p]Kelly

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,[p]Gimme the details! I love cabbage rolls and haven't thought about them in eons. [p]mShark
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    I cook smoked stuffed cabbage on the egg...Here is a couple of pictures of one I cooked.
    Larry

[ul][li]Smoked Stuffed Cabbage[/ul]
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    mollyshark,
    We used a recipe straight out of the BH&G cookbook:[p]1 beaten egg
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    dash of pepper
    1 pound ground beef
    3/4 cup cooked rice
    6 large or 12 medium cabbage leaves
    1 can condensed tomato soup
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice[p]In a bowl combine first six ingredients, mix well. Then add meat and cooked rice, mix well.
    Remove center vein of cabbage leave, keeping each leaf in one piece. Immerse leaves in boiling water until limp, about 3 minutes; drain and rinse in cold water. Place 1/2 cup of meat mixture on each large leaf or 1/4 cup on each medium leaf; fold in sides. Starting at unfolded edge, roll up each leaf, making sure folded sides are included into roll. Arrange in a 12x7 1/2x 2 inch baking dish. (I'll add here that I line the bottom of the dish with additional, uncooked cabbage leave to prevent burning the bottoms of the rolls.) Combine tomato soup, brown sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cabbage rolls. Bake, uncovered in a 350° oven for about 1 1/4 hours, basting once or twice with sauce. Serves 6.[p]I put the grill on and placed the inverted platesetter down on it. My cooking time was about 1 hour since the fire got away from me for a couple of minutes and went up to 400°. [p]YB's method looks interesting, too. Might just have to try that one sometime![p]Kelly

• erniet
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    MMMMMmmmmmm sounds good and thanks for taking me down (way down...lol) memory lane. My mom used to make these but with a little variation. She used to use 1/2 lb hamburger and 1/2 lb ground pork.

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    MNT (meat n' taters),
    Most recipes I've seen for Stuffed Cabage Rolls call for half hamburger and half ground pork. Only problem is my "other half" won't eat ground pork... Grin!