Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put four butts on at 4:00 p.m. and cooked at 220 for about 4 hours. Left home for a couple hours and came back at about 10:00 p.m. only to find that the BGE had dropped to about 170 - for how long, I have no idea. Got it up to 220 again, waited an hour, and went to sleep. Woke up at 3:45 a.m. just to have a look see and found that the BGE had dropped to 170 Again (meat temp is 150 after 11 hours of cooking). I took the egg up to 250. I am cooking for about 20 people and do not want to kill anyone. Any problems with where I am at and the fact that the Butts may have been cooking at 170 for quite awhile?

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Brick,
    Are these dome temps you're talking about?

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Brick,
    Since it doesn't appear that the dome temp ever really fell to room temp, the exterior of the butts never fell back down into the 40-140 range. The interior of the pieces of meat should be sterile if they weren't cut open or anything, so as long as you keep the exterior of the butt at a safe temp, I think you are safe.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bobby-Q,
    Yes, the butts cooked for 2-4 hours at a dome temp of 170 - I am assuming that is o.k., but I don't know. I have maintained a dome temp the last three hours of 220. I have four butts - two on a lower rack, two on an upper. I have two polders in (one on a butt on the lower and one on a butt on the upper). At 7:45 a.m. the lower polder reads 177 and the upper polder reads 157.

• Marine Cook
    Options
    Brick,[p]Keep the egg temp between 210 and 225. As long as you get the pork butt temps up to at least 180 to 200 you'll be happy with the pork. All the bugs die at aproximatley 140 degrees. The butts will stall or plateau at aroung 170 for at least an hour or more. That's when the connective tissue breaks down. You may even see a temp drop in the pork during this time, this is normal. eventually the temp in the pork will begin to rise again and will soon hit the majic range, 180-200. When your there pull the butts off the grill, if you have some time before guests arrive wrap the buts in foil and towels and put them in a cooler to rest nd wait. You and your guests will be very happy.[p]Have a great day,[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC

• Brick,
    I feel your pain. See my post above yours.