Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first, but not my last Fast Brisket

Options
eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
6.75 lb flat. Very lightly coated with mustard then rubbed with S & P, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne the previous night.

IMG_3511.jpg

Went on the egg at 270 degrees with several lumps of cherry. Raised grid with a drip pan, no plate setter.

After 2 hours and 15 minutes of smoking, the flat was double warapped in HD foil and returned to the egg at 375 degrees.

Flat just prior to foiling.

IMG_3523.jpg

The flat was egged in foil at 375 degrees for approximately 1 hour at which point it reached 180 degrees. I then injected it with a 'tea' made by soaking some Dizzy Pig Raisin the Steaks rub in some Dr. Pepper then straining out the solid particles. I don't own an injector....so I used a 50cc syringe with a 25 gauge needle. I couldn't find a lower gauge. It took FOREVER to squirt in 40cc of liquid. I am now in the market for a real injector! (but not that industrial one, vbi) Fishless had posted about injecting later into a brisket cook, but I couldn't dig up that post for the life of me, so I just did it at 180 degree. Then it was back onto the egg at 375 degrees wrapped in foil until it reached 195 degrees.

The flat was then wrapped in a towel and squished into my cooler where it resided for 2 hours. It was retrieved and given a nice sear at 550 degrees on each side for a few minutes.

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3545-1.jpg

It had a final rest on the cutting board of about 15 to 20 minutes and was then sliced. It was tender and juicy, but not falling apart.

IMG_3552-1.jpg

Plated with baked beans (made with my homemade bacon), fresh creamed corn, stuffed potatoes, and iced plum tea. It was a sweltering 92 degrees with 65% humidity so we ate indoors. :(

IMG_3563.jpg

I would like to acknowledge plagiarizing from Vidalia1, Thirdeye, Lawn Ranger, Fishless, Clay Q, CWM, and other fast brisket doyens. I know some real chefs out there would say I braised the brisket. Oh well, I'll be doing this one again.

Comments