Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fresh Baked Bread

DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
edited 3:39PM in EggHead Forum
A couple of years ago I got a recipe for No Knead Bread, it was very tasty and easy to make but who wants to heat up the kitchen during the summer. Doing a google search I found this recipe for No Knead Bread, http://www.breadtopia.com/basic-no-knead-method/

Here is a photo of the dough after sitting on the counter in my kitchen for 18 hours:
18hours.jpg

Placed the dough on the pizza stone at 500 degrees:
GoingOn.jpg

I placed a metal mixing bowl over the dough for the first 45 minutes, helps to slow down the browning. This is a photo after I have removed the bowl and lower the temp down to 450 degrees:
LoweringTemp.jpg

Pulled and cooling:
BreadDone.jpg
David
BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
·

Comments

• Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Also you can go to [url]http://www,terrywords.com[/url] and click on Recipes. Terry (and his helpers) made 14 loaves at the recent Eggs by the Bay Eggfest. You will note he uses a dutch oven in the Egg.
    Needless to say, the bread was scarffed up as fast as he put it out. AND, he won first place in the People's Choice Awards.
    ·
  • EGGRPhEGGRPh Posts: 179
    Why rice uncooked? Just a barrier?
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    The recipe that I used calls for a Dutch Oven also, the reason is to simulate a brick oven. The Egg is a big ceramic brick oven, yea for me!

This is a hearty crusted bread, if I had not taken the bowl off the bread or pulled the bread a little sooner the crust would have been more tender. As it stands it is delicious and I was thinking how good a piece of brie would be with it, or use it with a hearty soup or stew. Hmmmm, now I am thinking, four smaller rounds to be used as bread bowls! A new project is born.
    David
    ·
    I figure that acts as a spacer to insure the bottom of the loaf does not get over dark (i.e. burned). I have to say that none of the loaves that they cooked were burnt on the bottom.
    ·
    I used corn meal on my pizza stone, the rice serves the same purpose a barrier between the dough and the cooking surface that way it does not stick. I also use corn meal when I do pizza on the stone.
    David
    ·
    Do as Terry did at the Eggs by the Bay Eggfest .... put a lot of butter on it and no one would even notice any flaws. :woohoo:
    I guess one could figure it kind of like eating snails; put on enough butter and garlic and people will eat an old shoe. :laugh: :laugh:
    ·
  • mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
    nice work
    mr toad
    In dog Beers - I have had only one !
    ·
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    David, your No Knead bread looks delicious. :) I have yet to make a no knead loaf, but hope to soon.
    ·
    The recipe I linked to takes literally minutes to prepare. Two simple folds are all that is needed at the end of the rest period the let it rise for another 1.5 hours. I fired up my Egg about 30 minutes before the rise was complete and had a stable 500 degrees with the platesetter and pizza stone ready to go.

We also used it for roast beef sandwiches today with a roast I did on the Egg, sorry no pictures they disappeared to quickly. There are a few things that take me back in time and the smell of fresh baked bread is one of those.
    David
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,333
    all that needs is a pound of room temperature butta......tear off a hunk, swipe the butta and repeat.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·