Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crab Cakes

Options
Kris in Fl
Kris in Fl Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to make Crab Cakes tonight… but I’ve never made them before :) Can you please send your ideas and suggestions? I will be using fresh lump crab meat.
I would also like to make a Spicy Remoulade to accompany the cakes. [p]There are a ton of recipes on the internet… but I’d prefer to make a recipe that some of you have tested and approved…
Thanks in advance,
Kris

Comments

• Chrispy Bob
    Options
    Kris in Fl, Check out the crab cake recipe at the Dizzy Pig web site.[p]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/[p]CB

• Kris in Fl,[p]The following quantities are not exact so taste as you go… also, I'm from Ca. so I use Dungeness crab. [p]1 TBSP finely diced shallot
    1 TBSP finely diced dill pickle
    1 TBSP diced fire roasted red bell pepper (do not use raw peppers)
    1-2 TBSP mayo
    1 egg
    1 slice of bread + 1 garlic clove mixed to a fine consistency in food processor
    salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne and paprika[p]Mix everything together except the bread crumbs and the crab meat. When everything is incorporated, add enough bread crumbs to create a batter that is slightly thicker than pancake batter. Then carefully fold in the crab meat. Make patties and rest them on a cooling rack for 15 to 20 min so they firm up a little. I like to fry the patties in a ½ inch of canola oil OR bake at 425F until golden. For a sauce, try to get your hands on some smoked paprika… mix a little of that and some lemon juice into some mayo and put a dollop on the cakes just before serving.

• Kris in Fl
    Options
    Chrispy Bob,
    Thank you! This looks delicious![p]I've seen recipes that call for bread crumbs, smashed crackers, or small torn pcs of white bread (as this one calls for)...
    I am not familiar with the difference of each. Is it texture? taste? both :)[p]Thanks!
    ~Kris

• Kris in Fl
    Options
    Star Jones,
    yum... I like this one too!
    Dill Pickle :) That's a new one for me! Sounds Great...[p]Thanks!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Kris in Fl,
    granted, the recipe is mine, but i really believe, when it comes to crab cakes, simple is best . . .think of it this way, you've just spent big bucks on lump meat, why dilute the taste with too much other stuff. . .you want to enhance the flavor, not cover it up. . .as far as bread vs. cracker, etc. . .its a matter of taste/texture. ..you want just enough to hold it together. . .in that vein, make sure you don't break up that lump too much. . .you want a crab cake that barely holds together. . .refrigerate them for at least an hour after forming the cakes. .. they will stay together better that way .. . .[p]good luck and enjoy[p]max

• Kris in Fl
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,.... Thanks for the pointers - that makes perfect sense :) [p]I appreciate your time - enjoy your day!
    Kris

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Mrs. DuvallS Crab Cakes Recipe courtesy Mrs. Duvall of The Rail Stop, The Plains. VA [p]Yield: 4 servings [p]1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup onion, minced
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
    1 cup soda crackers, finely crushed
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    Lemon wedges[p]In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt and cayenne. Fold in the crabmeat and 1/4 cup of the cracker crumbs. Shape the mixture into 16 cakes about 1-inch thick. Coat the crab cakes with the remaining cracker crumbs and transfer to a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. The crab cakes can be refrigerated overnight at this point, if needed.
    In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in 2 tablespoons of the oil. When the foam subsides, add half the crab cakes and cook over moderate heat until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain the crab cakes on paper towels, then keep warm in a low oven. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of oil and cook the remaining crab cakes. Serve with lemon wedges.[p] =======================================
    Crab Cakes Recipe courtesy Paula Deen [p]Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 18 minutes
    Yield: 4 to 6 servings [p]1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells
    1/3 cup crushed crackers (recommended: Ritz)
    3 green onions (green and white parts), finely chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    Dash cayenne pepper
    Flour, for dusting
    1/2 cup peanut oil
    Favorite dipping sauce, for serving[p]In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and peanut oil. Shape into patties and dust with flour.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes, in batches, in pan and fry until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve warm with preferred sauce. [p] [p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    CrabcakeBox.jpg
    <p />Kris in Fl,
    I am not sure on the bread thing either, but Max's recipe always seems to cook up real nice. We cooked his recipe for the Chef's Choice category at the competition this past weekend, and it turned out real nice. Only diff was incorporating some horse radish, and we forgot the Old Bay so we used a tbsp of Tsunami instead. Woo and Mary Ann did a righteous job on the presentation!
    Enjoy!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Kris in Fl
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Wow, that's exactly what I have been picturing - beautiful presentation! Thanks for sharing![p]What is the sauce drizzled over them?

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Boy they look almost as good as they tasted. Crabbing at the Jersey shore and making some of those babys is on my calender for the holiday weekend coming up. I might even try to duplicate that sauce (that front row seat I had may help eith that), it went well with the crab.[p]Chuck

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Kris in Fl,
    Maybe Woo will see this and chime in. He mixed the sauce up. Was a mayo/horseradish/oil kinda thing with a smack of ZZ's homemade mustard. That is all i remember....Woo will surely see this and let you know.[p]Thanks for the kind words, and have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Chuck,
    Wish I were hungrier, cuz I love them things. So glad you came out. What a blast. Hey, my bonehead self misplaced that card with your phone numbers. Can you shoot me an email with them? Would like to yack with you.
    Gotta run the twins tho the orthodonist! Catch you on he flipside.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Man Chris, them are so good lookin I bet you could make them by the thousands and sell them on QVC. [p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Kris in Fl,[p]For the sauce we used what we had on hand with about 5 minutes to put it all together.
    ~Hellmanns Mayonnaise
    ~ZZ's Homemade Mustard..... good stuff with a kick to it
    ~Horseradish Sauce
    ~Hot sauce.... of a very red kind that we borrowed from the Free Range guys that wasn't very hot at all because they're a bunch of woosies but added a nice hue anyways.
    ~Tsunami Spin
    I think that's all, whisked together then put in squeeze bottle so's to squirt all over the cakes. Wasn't bad![p]John

• Kris in Fl
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Thanks! I am thinkng that the horseradish is the key... I will play with the ingredients, and see what "fits".
    I appreciate your time - & the pic was incredible :)
    Kris