Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you inject your Butt's?????

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious if when you all smoke pork butts for pulled pork do you inject the meat or just put on a dry rub? If you inject it is there some reciepe's you would be willing to share?

Thank you from the new egg head

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Personally I do not. Just use a dry rub. More often then not I use mustard prior to the rub. Never had an issue.
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    I have injected before, but most of the time I simply use a rub and cook. You can google dr bbq's pork injection or chris lily's injection and find two good injections if you choose to go that route.
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    I cook butts frequently and never inject...just a rub..I always use bone in and I like 8 to alb butts and they always come out very moist and fall apart
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Sometimes I inject them with aplle juice and Dizzy Dust.
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    What is dizzy dust?

Thanks
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I don't always inject them but I do sometimes. When I do, I use Chris Lilly's injection

3/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup salt
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire

I never had a problem with dry pulled pork but I do find this brings a little more flavor than just a rub.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Dizzy Dust is a commercial rub that is manufactured by dizzy pig. They have a product line. While I havent used all of them, the ones i have tried are all good. Most people use bone in, myself included, because the bone seems to assist in imparting flavor. Additionally, it stays together better without having to use butchers twine
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I inject, mostly to add a few flavors not common to plain pork. Everyone seems to like it.

Here it is if you want to give it a try.

Pork Butt

Recipe By: Spring Chicken

Marinade

This is enough for an 8# Boston Butt, bone-in (Works equally well for a brisket)

2 tablespoons warm water
    2 tablespoons Kosher salt, dissolve -- in warm water
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon Honey
    1 tablespoon Cane syrup
    1 tablespoon Maple syrup
    1/4 cup White grape juice
    1 tablespoon Bad Byron's Butt Rub (or favorite pork rub)
    1 tablespoon Hershey's chocolate
    1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
    1 tablespoon Teriyaki marinade
    1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon Cane vinegar
    1 teaspoon white vinegar

Mix thoroughly until dissolved

Butt Preparation & Cook

Inject marinade in multiple locations and levels with above mixture.

Coat outside of butt with Bad Byron's Butt Rub and your favorite Dizzy Pig product and refrigerate overnight. (If pressed for time you can start cooking within the hour)

Cook indirect on BGE with drip pan at 225° to 250° until internal temp of 195° to 200°. Add desired smoking wood at start of cook.

Average cook time is 15 to 20 hours depending on size and number of butts.

Remove, wrap in foil and towels and let rest for 2 to 5 hours in a cooler.

Pull or slice and serve, or store in vacuum sealed bag for up to two years.

Add sauce if so desired. It should not be necessary to get the full flavor of the meat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Spring "Lubricated Butt" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Minneapolis Smoke
    Options
    There are a couple of reasons why having the bone is better. First it flat out tastes better than a boneless cut. Anything boneless is going to be less flavorful than a bone in cut. It annoys me a little that it is getting harder to find bone in cuts. Secondly, it cooks better. The bone transmits heat and help make for a more even cook. Thirdly, opening up the shoulder to remove the bone exposes more surface area which is prone to dry out during the smoking process. An intact cut will be moister as a result. Finally, the bone in costs less in some places even once you account for the weight.