Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just finished my table!

E.Redshirt
E.Redshirt Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I have a slight tendency to overbuild on occasion, but in this case, better overbuilt than collapsed. Apologies if it's dark; with a 16-month old son, I get most of the work done after his bedtime.

It's redwood with stainless steel screws. The Egg is a large.

DSC00294.jpg

Had to use 2x6 instead of 1x6, as that's all that was available. It's 38 1/2" high and about 76" long- a good height for me, since I'm tall. I don't have the tools necessary to cut down that granite countertop, salvaged from my father-in-law's kitchen remodel. The wife thinks the table's huge; I just think it looks good against the trumpet vine.

DSC00293.jpg
DSC00297.jpg
The shelf on top isn't actually attached at this point, though I may do that later. I think it's heavy enough to be stable on its own.

Remaining modifications- a bottle opener which I'll hopefully be picking up from BevMo this weekend, and then screens to surround the Egg's base and prevent my son from accidentally burning his hands.

Comments

• E.Redshirt
    because apparently I'm a circus-freak strong man.
  • Hi E.R.
    That is one sweet table, love the granite! No stains or wear worry there. Nice design.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Nice! Nothing wrong with 2x6" for the top, I actually like the added thickness. And I like the back bar, you will use that quite often I believe, go ahead and attach it. You might want to add a wider board on top to make a more usable shelf, add a strip light under. Have fun with your new egg and table!
  • Mightyfine table
  • captd
    captd Posts: 4
    Very nice and functional. I really like the back bar and thinking of adding one on the table I am in the process of building right now. What is the measurement between your fire brick and the top of the table. I am at that stage of my table now and trying to place the shelf for the fire bricks. Thanks.
  • E.Redshirt
    I believe it's the same called for by the plans on the BGE website- 15" for a large. The fire bricks are 1.5" high, though some people use a 2" paving stone. Decide which you'll be using ahead of time, and keep in mind that different size Eggs have different heights. My fire bricks sit on top of the bottom shelf, but some people leave a slot so the top of their fire bricks or paving stones are level with the shelf.

If you're still uncertain, open your Egg up completely and use a tape measure to check the height from the lowest point of the hinges to the ground. If you mess up by only an inch or two, you can always cut a notch in the back to allow the hinges to pass through the table when you open the lid.