Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple wood?

Options
SmokinJ
SmokinJ Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I have a chance to get some apple wood from a tree that has fallen.Not sure if it's crab apple or what.I was just was told it was green apples and made ok pies.Could I use it even if was crab apple?Also do you just let it dry out for awhile before using?

Thanks

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It sounds like it is not a crab apple. You can use it wet or green, but be sure that all that you cut and chop is allowed to dry in a somewhat ventilated area. That wet wood will mold rather fast if stored in a dark 'sealed' environment. Get it all and you'll be set for years to come.

I've got about 1000 lbs of it drying now.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Most any "fruit" wood is ok for smoking. I do not think it is necessary to dry them first. I start using them soon after they are harvested and continue till they have dried. I rarely see or taste a difference. Try it and see how it tastes to you. If you like it then continue. Everyone does not like the taste of all woods. Hope this helps.
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    Apple wood is my favorite, no wait its Oak, no maybe its Pecan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    even crab apple is good. keep what you wont be using for a while in log form and only cut up and split what your going to use in the next 6 or so months, when your getting low cut some more and split that. keeping it whole will keep it from drying out too much, with apple it seems to loose flavor if its too dry. i would let it sit in a dry warm place for a few weeks before using but some use it right away
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    dry or not, no worries. use it up. good stuff. don'
    t fret about bark either. it's all good.

i did some sausages last saturday with applewood (chicken sausage with sun-dried tomato with basil).

some brats got cherry smoke, and sweet italian got oak. fundamental differences among all of them. great stuff, enjoy the apple. a little mild (and i mean that as a positive)