Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Follow up on yesterday's post -adjustable rig

Boxerpapa
Boxerpapa Posts: 989
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Which one is prefered: the oval or round?

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I can't say. I've never used the oval, just the round.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    depends on your favoirt meat.

If ribs is your favorit meat, the oval is the better choice. And I´ve seen, there is also now a oval stone available.
    If butts is your prefered meat, the round one is better. Cause there fit 3 butts on the round grid and only 2 on the oval.
    I have both. Bought the oval rig combp and the single round grid. So I´ve the option for both.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Boxerpapa, I have the oval because I like to cook my ribs laying down flat. Yet I have the round stone. Some day I may get the round grids and the oval stone. With just two of us and the occasional 4 more guests I have enough room to egg enough food for everyone on my guest list. Especially since I have two large eggs. I set one up with the rig and the other with what eggcessories I have left over. That's enough playing around for me. Tim ;)
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    I have both, which is nice. If I had to choose one, it would be the round one, as the oval is really a one-trick pony.

Truthfully, I could have saved a ton in shipping had I just bought one of everything from Tom in the beginning. ;)
  • If you are really a rib man and do not do many multi butt/brisket cooks go for the oval. I only have the oval and I like it, but space can be an issue at times.

If you plan to get the extended grid it rests on the rig, not the top round BGE grid (something that is clearly shown on the site but I never paid attention to) and as far as I know it only uses the oval grid, but I could be wrong.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have what you are talking about Tim.

000_1888.jpg

000_2118.jpg

I tried my 18 inch grid and my dome won't close but I tried my 14 1/2 ci grid made from a 15 inch grid did work. ;)

000_2208.jpg
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    I have them both, and use them both. the oval might give up some space, but sometimes it's a good thing to be able to slide it out for flipping (wings) or spritzing (ribs), etc.