Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook help

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am using my BGE to cook first time.. 2 fryer chicken about 5 lbs each.

Should I use the place setter or not, I want to use the BGE like a convection oven (indirect) and avoid charring it. With a little bit of applewood chips.
I should put drip pan in platform of the PS?

Target temp about 350 ok?

Using Royal Oak charcoal.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    all that sounds like it will work...

you can put a drip pan on the platesetter but dont use a good pan.. i usually don't do anything to protect my platesetter but some put a piece of foil on the platesetter for easy clean up ;)

good luck on your cook. welcome to the forum!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• CaCook
    Options
    yes I plan to either use (free) aluminum pie pans or just fold a piece of foil curled up on the edges to catch the grease.

Would you put the breast face up?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yes or you can use a beer can and shove up the rear of both birds which will cook them vertically. you can fit 4 on beer cans in there

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out and how you liked it. Chicken realy absorbs the smoke so go easy at first. Tim ;)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Your plan sounds fine. Yes, you want the skin side up. Avoid the temptation to open the dome and check it all the time. Some folks flip, but I never do, just leave it alone, it will cook through and give you nice crispy skin. Should take an hour or a little more. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • CaCook
    Options
    thanks guys I think I got this,
    so say around 350F, what should the daisy setting be, just the use 6 holes or flip cap wide open or half open?

My old charchoal grill I always leave chimney full vent because to avoid cresole build up on the foold. Only use intake to regulate heat.

Is the BGE the same way?
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Click on this post and go down to

Egg Temperatures - Visual Guide to Vent Settings & Clear Smoke

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=901811&catid=1
  • CaCook
    Options
    Great pictures there
    do I install the plate setter as I light the lump charcoal
    someone told me their PS cracked when put in hot.

Then dump in wood chips in one of the 3 openings around the PS when ready to cook the meat?
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    CaCook, I put chunks in with my burning lump and do so after lighting and then the plate setter and stabilize. Others may do different but I have seen some place their chips in amongst the lump then the plate setter and stabilize. Maybe others will chime in how they do it. Tim :)
  • CaCook
    Options
    Oh my, I am a bit nervous, the pair of chicken is in the BGE now
    I want to keep peaking from the top vent.
  • CaCook
    Options
    Turned out not bad, very juicy. (Marinate rubbed under the skin)
    Took out when breast is 165F but the inner of thighs are not quite as done, any suggestion for next time?
    Should I ice the breast so they are done at the same time?

4744315345_328ca08790_b.jpg

4744953984_a4c73b8582_b.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    CaCook, Great job on your chicks. For me it's a trade off to get your dark meat done yet have a juicy breast. I love crispy skin and a juicy breast and the leg quarters are tasty when pulled at around 190°-200° so you got to let the breast go longer. You can do all kinds of neat things to keep the breast juicy yet get the dark meat done.

I like to spatchcock my chicken and raise my grid and direct cook at 400°. Then I pull the bird when the dark meat reaches around 200° and the breast meat will be 170° plus. I put the chicken in bone side down and leave it like that.

You can try different things to cook your chicks and you will find the way that works best for you. Here lately I have brined my chicken then grilled it. Great pic's. Tim :)