Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Duck Andoille Gumbo - Pic Heavy

Frank from HoumaFrank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited 3:04AM in EggHead Forum
Wanted to seer some duck breast but couldn't find just the breast so I bought a duck. Our course I will use all but the quack, quack.

Gumbo first - Have to have a good roux and secondarily a good stock.

IMG_2294800x600.jpg

Veggies for the stock
IMG_2295800x600.jpg

Cut up the duck, removed the breast, and dusted the parts with Tsunami spin. Browned all the pieces that were going into the stock.
IMG_2312800x600.jpg

Browned the legs, thighs, and wings for use in the gumbo later. Started direct then smoked indirect with pecan.
IMG_2320800x600.jpg

Started the roux with CI pot on the lump
IMG_2374800x600.jpg

Starting to brown
IMG_2377800x600.jpg

Getting happy - pulled the CI pot off a couple times to avoid burning the roux. Took about 10 minutes. Time to add the seasoning.
IMG_2378800x600.jpg

Seasoning - two bunches of green onions, two large onions, about 1-1/2 cups of celery and 1/4 cup of garlic.
IMG_2300800x600.jpg

In go the veggies
IMG_2383800x600.jpg

Duck and Andoille go in
IMG_2385800x600.jpg

Stock goes in
IMG_2386800x600.jpg

Simmered about four hours - stirring occasionally and adding a little stock as the gumbo reduces.

Tried a little taste and it is mightyfine - not for tonight though. Gumbo is always better the next day. :)

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    LAWDAMERCEY!!! You KILLIN ME!!! :whistle:
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Frank,

That's just beautiful, man. No surprise, just sayin.
  • :laugh: :laugh:
  • Thanks Adam - I can't hit one but I can sure cookem :woohoo:
  • KBKB Posts: 144
    you gave me an idea for my 5 qt cast iron dutch oven. Thanks
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I'm going to have to start keeping my eye's open for a good price on a duck, I bet that is awesome!

Gator

• Rezen73Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Damn, that looks muy excellente!

Mouth waterin here. haha :D
  • Can you get andouille in south TX?
  • :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, but it's not real andoille

I get mine from Bourgeois Meat Market in Thibodaux - the best. It's smoked and just to take a whiff of it is a treat.

Used to pick up my traveling companion in the late 60s while attending Nicholls. I remember several times my future MIL coming to the back door on a Friday morning in her robe and had me a $5 bill for some andoille. I knew we were having chicken, oyster and andoille gumbo on Sunday. :)

Bourgeois also has over the top jerky, sausages, and head cheese. If you are in the neighborhood, you should stop by.

Keep plenty andoille in my freezer for gumbos. :lol:
  • Frank, I'm a bayou Lafourche girl...do I ever know Bourgeois!
  • :) :)

Up da bayou or down da bayou? :laugh:

Either way is mightyfine

G.R.I.T.S. = Girls Raised In The South :) :)

My bride and traveling companion is a Duplantis from Houma - Of course now she is a Smith. Duplantis to Smith - boring. ;)
  • Way down da bayou. Or, as the texting-savvy abbreviate it, DTB.