Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gaskets!

Options
EGGRPh
EGGRPh Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So let me get this straight, Some people cook without their gaskets after they have burned off correct? Doesn't this waste their lump charcoal as the egg cools down after you snuff it out? I have noticed that I have lost a section of gastket on the left side near the front after I did a burn off. I just don't want to replace the gasket yet because 80-85% still there. I am going to smoke 17 lbs of pork butt for a July 4th party should there be any problems that will prohibit the smoking?

Thanks for all the advice.

Stef in Brunswick, Ohio.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    EGGRPh wrote:
    ... I am going to smoke 17 lbs of pork butt for a July 4th party should there be any problems that will prohibit the smoking?

Thanks for all the advice.

Stef in Brunswick, Ohio.

A partial gasket may be different but no gasket or some smoke leaking out between the dome and the base should be no problem whatsoever.

In the next little while load your egg and get it stable at 250°. See if you can maintain the temperature there for 2 or 3 hours. If you can you are good to go.

I wouldn't leave it until the last minute and test it on the party cook.

my 2¢

GG