Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Way OT: fly repellent

TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
edited 6:57PM in EggHead Forum
OK, has anyone heard of the 'water in a ziplock' as a fly/insect repellent theory? I just heard of this one today and did a Google search and seems it has been around for a while. The one I heard had a couple of penny's in the bag but seems that some use foil in the bag. :laugh: These were being used at an out door cooking event. Dang, I think I'll try it but curious if anyone else has heard of it or tried it.

Link below of the Google search. :woohoo: Mike

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS373&=&q=penny+water+bag+flies&aq=3&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=Penny+water&gs_rfai=C4rda77gmTK6TFYXyzAT16YHLCgAAAKoEBU_QUycH

Comments

• NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,278
    Mike,

I learned that trick at M & M BBQ when they used to be located in that concrete shack. The pick up window had the ziplock bags of water with one penny in each bag so I had to ask what they were for. They swore it kept the flies away.

I tried it and it didn't seem to make a difference for us.

Chris
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • fieroguyfieroguy Posts: 777
    Tried the pennies routine - didn't work.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

NMSG
    I tried it with foil and it seemed all the flies came over and started grooming themselves in there reflection.

When I was 5 or 6 my dad told me go go to his tool box and find a left handed monkey wrench. After an hour or so I realized what was going on. Since then I get pretty skeptical.

This hit the forum last year sometime.

MAPP works great on hornets and flies.

GG
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Kent,

It was right next to the pipe stretcher. :silly:

Installed irregation systems way back in the day and new guys would run off to get that stretcher. Some returned laughing and others felt bad they couldn't find it. :P

:laugh: :laugh: Yes, but there is a pipe stretcher (well pipe expander for muffler installation).

Kent
  • TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    I really didn't have much hope that this would work but was surprised I got so many hits when I Googled it. Mike
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    MYTH!!!

When I prep outdoors I keep a fan on low nearby. Flies and other flying insects don't appreciate the acceleration boost the get when they hit the air stream.