Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best woods for a table?

Options
E.Redshirt
E.Redshirt Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I'm getting my first Egg this Saturday (a Father's Day gift from my family) and I've already drawn out the plans for a table to build around it- complete with a nice, 24"x40" speckled granite slab countertop appropriated from my father-in-law's backyard following his kitchen renovation.

I'm a good woodworker, but I haven't worked with outdoor furniture before, so my question is- what woods are recommended for the job? I've ruled out PT lumber, and would prefer something that stands out against the granite (cypress and white cedar fade to a silver-grey that would blend in too much.) I'm also interested in a sustainable wood.

I'm currently leaning towards red cedar, but not sure of its availability in my area (Northern California.) Any good backups to have in mind when I hit the lumber yard?

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    cypress, cedar, or redwood work well for outdoors. Teak and mahogany would also work but a little pricey.

Made mine out of redwood and put three coats of marine varnish. After three years my tables need refinishing even though I put three coats of marine varnish. If I refinish (Thinking about doing a masonry built in) I will get a cover to protect against UV rays.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Frank, you think a marine varnish would work on my rough cut cedar table??? I've got a gallon of Thompson's on mine so I'd probably wait a while to apply, and my table is under the porch so it see's very little rain....More pool water from the polaris spitting out onto the porch :laugh:

I prefer cedar fer the look, but it all depends on the $$$ you want to spend....

I just built mine: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=911655&catid=13#

Alot of good ideas on the table forum!!! ;)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    You can use anything that is being used for decks. In your area redwood is the most common, but red cedar and several hardwoods are also also available.
    Redwood and cedar will cost less but require more maintenance than hardwoods.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I'm in San Jose and I built my out of red oak. Finished with two coats of Teak Oil.

CIMG2111.jpg
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • E.Redshirt
    E.Redshirt Posts: 18
    Options
    Didn't have much choice, really- Hulbert Lumber didn't have any cedar in stock. After doing some research, I was leaning towards redwood anyway.

All the wood's cut (had enough left over to make an 8" high shelf for over the counter, too) and the frame's assembled. I'm taking pictures as I go, for posterity's sake. Should turn out pretty good. B)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Thought I posted a reply the other day - must be an old age thing :unsure:

I don't think it would hurt to top with a marine varnish but you may want to get some expert advise.

I understand the polaris - seems like they are waiting in ambush to get you. B) Ours is named "Nessie" :laugh: