Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked 2 butts last week and they cooked much faster than say my normal 12/14 hourd. These cooked in app. 8 hourd to 195 internal. Pulled wrapped in heavy foil off to bed. When pulling one I noticed that it wasnt nearly as tender as previous ones. I placed other in oven and it did tender much more still in foil for app. 4 gours 200 degrees. These did not stay in plateau long at all? When eating meat was kinda chewy tough somewhat. Is this the results if they dont stay in plateau long enough. Please comment and what should I do in future id I see they are cooking too quickly? My thoughts might be to pull them wrap heavy foil in oven if need to sleep or still on dome hopefully holding a somewhat lower temp? Please advise.....

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Ron,[p]my guess is your thermometer is off. I checked mine sunday and it was off by nearly 40 degrees. That's huge in lo and slo land.[p]calibrate with boiling water and see what you find...