Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

secret information needed

mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what is the secret to grilling fresh shucked corn on the bge -

thanks

mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    dont shuck it, dont soak it, just cook it and shuck later. for some reason they shuck cleaner that way when hot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Don't shuck it... Actually its a matter of preference as to how browned you want the corn to be. Shucked, you are likely to get very well browned kernels, and maybe a few burnt ones. My preference is to leave just enough leaves to re-wrap the cob. I mix butter and some rub, often DP ragin' river, and smear the kernels. Enclose in remaining leaves. Then onto a raised grid, direct. Close dome. Turn every now and again. The leaves will shrink some, and char, exposing a little of the kernels, which will brown.

Another method is to soak with remaining leaves so as to lessen burning. When I was a kid, we would toss unshucked ears into a pail, get a camp fire going, and drop the wet ears right on the coals. Usually burnt a lot of the leaves, but the corn became nice and soft.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I clean it and place it on a direct grill for around 15 minutes rolling it every few minutes. The husks smell terrible if cooked and only insulate the corn from the heat in my opinion. I like a nice lite char on the corn before pulling it off. I also don't put anything on it when grilling.
  • If I just want plain corn, I cook it in the husks, and shuck after cooking.

For something with a bit more kick, I like to shuck it, coat lightly in either olive oil or lime juice, add a spice rub, and grill wrapped in foil. Especially with the lime, this gives it a really nice flavor, and it's a different twist when serving guests.

If this really counts as a recipe, details are posted on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/06/recipe-spicy-co.html

Corn%201.jpg

Enjoy!

-John
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    I peel the husk back and remove the silk, then pull the husk back over and tie them closed with twine and grill. No soaking.

This summer, when our sweet corn comes in, I'm going to try cooking it without removing the silk, to test the reports that the silk is easier to remove after cooking.

The husk protects the corn from too much direct heat, so cooking it is pretty flexible. Direct/indirect/variety of temps...doesn't much matter, as long as you're careful not to overcook it. Corn should be cooked just until hot. I've done it with burgers at 500-600 direct on the fire ring, and I've done it with wings at 400, raised grid direct. Both were good.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I think it depends on whether you want your corn steamed or grilled. I have cooked it shucked, un-shucked, and soaked in sugar water and then directly on the embers.

For flavor and ease we pull the husks back, tie them with twine to make handles, direct grill it, and baste it with some mixture of butter, herbs, and S&P. Usually garlic, but sometimes cilantro or italian parsley. Here are a few ears I did last year.

DSC01371.JPG

If you have good fresh corn to start with, each method is tasty in its own way.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    seems to hold the moisture in for cooking better if you dont pull the husks back, traps in the moisture/steam. try it both ways to compare. they also stay hotter longer that way so you can cook up a few dozen at a time and serve all at once
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    John,

You can also pull the husk back and clean the silk out and then season as you do...wrap the husk back around and tie off with butchers twine. I have also tried the mayo/seasoning and wrap again. Then wait for the good reviews before I tell them how it was made. They all say "MAYO?" :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I shuck mine, coat in butter, wrap in foil, then cook it on the egg. Time and temp depends on what else is cooking.
    After is mostly done, I unwrap it and grill direct for a few minutes, rolling it around until all charred. Salt and moe butter.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Now Adam, you don't think you can come in here and do a drive by "MAYO" comment like this without further details do you?

Details man.... DETAILS! :woohoo:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Pretend like it's butter. ;) Peel'er back, remove silk, mayo all over that corn and season(I use DP rubs for this one). Then wrap it all back in the husk and cook. Butchers twine to keep it nice and tight. :)

Don't let anyone watch or they may not want to eat it or have bad thoughts while they are. It really is funny how everyone reacts when you tell them how it was done.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Thanks Adam.... I will give this a try for sure B)
  • Good idea. I'll try that next time.

-John
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Don't shuck. Unless you really want grilled corn.

Like spuds, corn is pretty easy to cook. I don't see any reason to make cooking on the egg hard by adding steps like removing the silk and then re-wrapping. And heck why waste a perfectly good piece of aluminum foil when the husks do a better job.

These were done raised grid direct at 400°

One soaked for 15 minutes & somewhat drained the other not soaked, just put on the egg. I couldn't tell of a difference in taste and texture.

corn1_400.jpg

corn2_400.jpg

GG
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Veeeery Niiiiice...Kent!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    GG,
    Looks good.
    How long at 400?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    You are THE MAN!
  • Grandpas Grub

I need to look up the original post but as I recall these were 15 to 20 minutes.

When I locate the post I will re-post if there is any difference.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Thanks Evans, how soon are you leaving for the north west?

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

I have never tried roasting the corn cobs on the grate. That is something I need to give a try.

Kent
  • Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    How long did you cook them?
  • Grandpas Grub

15 to 20 minutes as I recall.

GG