Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Store bought Cod - Wormy

Options
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Picked up some "wild caught" frozen cod from one of our local chain supermarkets a couple of weeks ago on sale and was prepping it last night when I noticed some dark spots in the flesh. Upon investigation with the tip of my knife, I found the fish were infected with round worm parasites. YUCK!!! Brownish-red colored worms about 2 inches long and very tiny diameter. I found more of them by holding the fillets up to direct sun. I picked the worms(4 total in 2 fillets) out and still managed to cook(to very well done I might add) the fillets, but it really put me off so to speak. Anybody else ever run across this? Should I have tossed it or taken it back to the store? Would telling the store even do any good?

Thanks for your replies,

Mark

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    personally I would have taken it back for a refund. You may have cut out what you saw, but don't ya wonder what you ate that you didn't see? :whistle:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mark,

In future take your reading glasses off when you prep. Works for me anyway :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I know what you're saying Ron and they did gross me out some, but the fillets were frozen for a period of time and well cooked by me. You probably have more of a chance of getting a parasitic infection from swimming in a fresh water lake. I don't have any fear of infection, etc., but I won't be buying any more of that cod from that store, that's for sure.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Ignorance is bliss, eh Steve? :laugh:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    If it was me, it would have been back to the store instantly and I would not have just settled for a replacement or a refund.

Some parasites can survive autoclaving, others can live through Chlorox, and still others through saturated high salt concentrations, high sodium hydroxide levels and the list goes on and on. There are reasons why they were here before we got here and will be long after we are gone.

I speak from experience of doing parasite research for over 20 years.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    cod worms are pretty common, i wouldnt worry about it, ive watched places pick them out, usually find them when skinning them when the are fresh, freezing is one way to kill them, thats what they do with tuna thats going to be eaten raw
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Thank Rich. :( I really needed to read that. :ohmy: I hope I don't end up on the "Monsters Inside Me" show....... :pinch:
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Geez, I hope you're right fish........ :blink:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    nothing bad will happen from a cod fish worm. you usually dont get them from deep water cod, its the ones closer to shore in warm water. ive heard you can nuke it for a few seconds and they lift from the fillet but i dont think thats true.
    fukahwee maine

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Well according to Fishlessman (who apparently is not always Fishless :P ) it sounds like these guys aren't so bad but I still would have given it back to the market so they could pick them out and sell it to someone else.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    they're common in atlantic cod, now i have no clue whats in pacific cod ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Can also be found in swordfish. Just rout 'em out, have another beverage, & enjoy!!
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich wrote:
    If it was me, it would have been back to the store instantly and I would not have just settled for a replacement or a refund.

Some parasites can survive autoclaving, others can live through Chlorox, and still others through saturated high salt concentrations, high sodium hydroxide levels and the list goes on and on. There are reasons why they were here before we got here and will be long after we are gone.

I speak from experience of doing parasite research for over 20 years.

If we're gone though they are in trouble. :)