Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

SALMON Ideas ! ! !

MWMW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like some eggspert advice on cooking some simple salmon. I like the idea of smoking it....and in the past have tried smoking for an hour or two at low temps with good results. I am going on a camping trip and would like to take this along for the other guests....so it will be served cold.
Ideas Ideas Ideas????
MW

Comments

• KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    MW,[p]Many Eggceptional salmon recipes have been posted just recently. For lunch today at the office, I brought in the last of a batch I made over the weekend. You can expect lots of responses to your question and I'd like to be one of the first to provide my 1/50 of a dollars worth.[p]Marinate the fillet for several hours in a good robust teriaki sauce such as Angostura. Remove from fridge 30-60 minutes before cooking, pat the flesh dry with paper towels and then paint on a liberal coating of Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, etc with a basting brush. Now drizzle with maple syrup and toss onto the Egg, skin side down at about 250* dome. Sugar maple or Alder chips or a blend compliments this dish nicely. The filet should flake easily with a fork in 60-90 minutes.[p]K~G

• MWMW Posts: 61
    KennyG, wow what am excellent recipe!!! I HAVE to try this one.
    Thank you for your encouragement - I am hoping I will also learn about brining the salmon. There are many good recipes on her and n the archives on this technique. The time in the brine seems vert controvertial. Some say NEVER more than 30 mins, some say NEVER less that 5 hours... not sure what to make of that. Oh well, hope someone else will jumo in ...
    MW

• MWMW Posts: 61
    KennyG, wow what am excellent recipe!!! I HAVE to try this one.
    Thank you for your encouragement - I am hoping I will also learn about brining the salmon. There are many good recipes on her and n the archives on this technique. The time in the brine seems vert controvertial. Some say NEVER more than 30 mins, some say NEVER less that 5 hours... not sure what to make of that. Oh well, hope someone else will jumo in ...
    MW

• sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    MW,[p]Not that I'm an expert on salmon by any means but I've cooked a few of them over the past few weeks and have a few more to cook before its done. The best smoked salmon, bar none, I did last weekend for moms day, the recipe was given to me by alt here on the forum. Here goes:[p]Take the salmon and put it skin side down in a large pan and sprinkle lightly with salt (sea salt), sugar, and place a dill sprig on top of it. I did this layering 2-3 times, would have to look back at the prior post. I also used dill weed, not fresh dill. Do this until there is a medium coating of the salt and sugar on the salmon. Put this in the fridge overnight, I did it for 36 hours with no ill effects. I smoked mine for about 4 hours (this depends on the size of the fillet) at a temp from 100 to 250, rising SLOWLY over the entire cook. I loaded it down with cherry smoke also. [p]This was bar none, the BEST smoked salmon I've ever eaten, try it, you wont be disappointed.[p]Troy
  • GretlGretl Posts: 670
    sprinter,
    Did you smoke the fillet directly over the coals, skin-side down? Sounds marvellous.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Gretl,[p]I smoked it indirect skin side down on a grill covered with foil. I used my normal "U" firebrick setup but no drip pan at all. And yep, it was maaaaaaaaaavelous!!![p]Troy
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Hey, Kenny - I just got in a bunch of maple sugar that I'm experimenting with for a KennyG-inspired rub for salmon....JCA
  • KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    marsal.jpg
    <p />J Appledog,[p]When should I show up with the bourbon??[p]K~G

• J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    KennyG,
    You are always welcome at the Appledog manse! How about Monday? We're teaching an outdoor cooking class to a bunch of culinary students. JCA