Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SALMON Ideas ! ! !

Options
MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like some eggspert advice on cooking some simple salmon. I like the idea of smoking it....and in the past have tried smoking for an hour or two at low temps with good results. I am going on a camping trip and would like to take this along for the other guests....so it will be served cold.
Ideas Ideas Ideas????
MW

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    MW,[p]Many Eggceptional salmon recipes have been posted just recently. For lunch today at the office, I brought in the last of a batch I made over the weekend. You can expect lots of responses to your question and I'd like to be one of the first to provide my 1/50 of a dollars worth.[p]Marinate the fillet for several hours in a good robust teriaki sauce such as Angostura. Remove from fridge 30-60 minutes before cooking, pat the flesh dry with paper towels and then paint on a liberal coating of Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, etc with a basting brush. Now drizzle with maple syrup and toss onto the Egg, skin side down at about 250* dome. Sugar maple or Alder chips or a blend compliments this dish nicely. The filet should flake easily with a fork in 60-90 minutes.[p]K~G

• MW
    Options
    KennyG, wow what am excellent recipe!!! I HAVE to try this one.
    Thank you for your encouragement - I am hoping I will also learn about brining the salmon. There are many good recipes on her and n the archives on this technique. The time in the brine seems vert controvertial. Some say NEVER more than 30 mins, some say NEVER less that 5 hours... not sure what to make of that. Oh well, hope someone else will jumo in ...
    MW

• MW
    Options
    KennyG, wow what am excellent recipe!!! I HAVE to try this one.
    Thank you for your encouragement - I am hoping I will also learn about brining the salmon. There are many good recipes on her and n the archives on this technique. The time in the brine seems vert controvertial. Some say NEVER more than 30 mins, some say NEVER less that 5 hours... not sure what to make of that. Oh well, hope someone else will jumo in ...
    MW

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    MW,[p]Not that I'm an expert on salmon by any means but I've cooked a few of them over the past few weeks and have a few more to cook before its done. The best smoked salmon, bar none, I did last weekend for moms day, the recipe was given to me by alt here on the forum. Here goes:[p]Take the salmon and put it skin side down in a large pan and sprinkle lightly with salt (sea salt), sugar, and place a dill sprig on top of it. I did this layering 2-3 times, would have to look back at the prior post. I also used dill weed, not fresh dill. Do this until there is a medium coating of the salt and sugar on the salmon. Put this in the fridge overnight, I did it for 36 hours with no ill effects. I smoked mine for about 4 hours (this depends on the size of the fillet) at a temp from 100 to 250, rising SLOWLY over the entire cook. I loaded it down with cherry smoke also. [p]This was bar none, the BEST smoked salmon I've ever eaten, try it, you wont be disappointed.[p]Troy
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    sprinter,
    Did you smoke the fillet directly over the coals, skin-side down? Sounds marvellous.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Gretl,[p]I smoked it indirect skin side down on a grill covered with foil. I used my normal "U" firebrick setup but no drip pan at all. And yep, it was maaaaaaaaaavelous!!![p]Troy
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Hey, Kenny - I just got in a bunch of maple sugar that I'm experimenting with for a KennyG-inspired rub for salmon....JCA
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    marsal.jpg
    <p />J Appledog,[p]When should I show up with the bourbon??[p]K~G

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    KennyG,
    You are always welcome at the Appledog manse! How about Monday? We're teaching an outdoor cooking class to a bunch of culinary students. JCA