Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burgers - sear

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you sear burgers on the EGG?[p]I am a novice with the EGG. I love the seared steaks I get, but I can't get a burger to sear. I tried 750 for a few minutes like a steak. Trying to sear the thick burgers like you get from Sam's is just not working. I don't see any recipes or info in the manual on this. [p]Any ideas from you pro's would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks!

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Charles,[p]I can't imagine why they wouldn't sear. Don't take me wrong, but, they weren't frozen, were they? Did you have "lava" hot coals in the egg? Sometimes the flames will lick the thermometer,and cause the temp to spike. Also, a thermometer that isn't calibrated could give funky readings.[p]Burgers should sear right up like a steak...especially once you get the juices flowing...you should have lots of heat and flames. I like to flame one side, flip them, and then shut 'er down and let them finish cooking thru. Just be careful opening the dome with this procedure....almost guaranteed a flash/poof/whuumph...no hair left on the one arm....but, it's the cost of doing business if you don't do it right, especially with fresh lump.[p]
    Mike in MN