Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mamaw\'s German Potato Salad

sharhamm
sharhamm Posts: 258
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't believe I downloaded the best potato salad recipe and didn't post the source. Can someone help me.
It has got to be the best warm potato salad I have even eaten in my life, and that's a long 67 years. I believe it was under a site for pulled pork, hush puppies and a cole slaw recipe. OMG it is so good!

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    2Fategghead
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Elder Ward 2005 and before.

Salad, Potato, German, Mamaw's, Elder Ward

This is the one non traditional dish [for North Carolina barbecue]

INGREDIENTS:
    Salad
    4 cup cooked potatoes, cubed
    8 slices bacon, cooked crisp (important for flavor) & crumbled
    1 cup celery, chopped fine
    3 green (spring) onions chopped tops and all
    Topping
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    2 tsp sugar (Hawaiian)
    1 tsp mustard (French's of other liquid cheap)
    1 tsp salt (kosher)
    1/4 tsp cracked black pepper

Procedure:
    1 Combine all ingredients fo rthe salad & put in baking dish.
    2 Combine all the ingredienets for the topping and pour over potato mix and bake @ 350* for 20 min. Best to use a BGE but oven will do.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Salad, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Elder Ward

Source: BGE Forum, Elder Ward, 2005/03/02

As an aside: My Grandmother and Grandfather on my fathers side lived on Barcus Creek outside of the small town of Whitter, NC. We knew them as Mamaw & Papaw (This is Cherokee for your grandparents if I remember correctly and has nothing to do with the recipe)
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    This has got to be the best warm potato sald ever! Thanks Elderward for the recipe.