Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter

Options
Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried out the looftlighter the dealer gave me as part of the new egg. It works quite well. Point it for one minute and voila, the charcoal starts to glow. The weedeburner is still better as it takes less time.

LooftLighter.jpg

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    If you aren't going to use it, I'll gladly take it off your hands. :)

Shoot me an e-mail if your interested.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi Tom:

Question for you - my experience with a MAPP torch is that the lump sparks like fireworks. When you use the looft lighter or weed burner. What happens? more sparks - fewer?

Michael
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Thanks for the interest. I am going to keep it. My wife would prefer me using the looftlighter over the weedburner for saftey reasons :blink:. Besides, it is always good to have a backup plan :woohoo: . I do have a bonifide egg electric starter that is gathering dust :evil: .

Tom

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Chef Charles
    Options
    Hi Michael,

The looftlighter generates far fewer sparks ... good thing as your hand is in a rather precarious position when pointing the looftlighter at the charcoal. I have never used a mapp torch yet I highly doubt that the weedburner generates fewer sparks. Luckily, the Canadian tire weedburner is shaped perfectly allowing you to hold it well back from the egg.

Tom

Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    I've found the mapp torch lights quicker than a propane torch - I haven't tried a weed burner.

One thing I have found is that if I place a layer of lump - torch it. Then add more lump and torch it - I'm much happier with the results. I get a more even fire and it takes less time.

Michael
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    Chef Charles wrote:
    Thanks for the interest. I am going to keep it. My wife would prefer me using the looftlighter over the weedburner for saftey reasons :blink:. Besides, it is always good to have a backup plan :woohoo: . I do have a bonifide egg electric starter that is gathering dust :evil: .

Tom

No problem. Just thought I'd ask. :)
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    It's hard to beat a weed burner.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

With the Weed Burner there are sparks, however, the handle is much longer and it takes much less time to light the lump and the end result is less overall sparking. It takes less than 60 seconds to fully light a large and have the temperature up and holding at 450°.

Even less time for lower temperatures. Other than dead winter I don't use the weed burner much, I just don't like hooking and unhooking the hose and having to deal with the propane bottles. However, it is the fastest way to light an egg there is.

Is using the weed burner on a small or mini one has to be careful as a gasket can be torched in seconds. With the smaller eggs one just needs to hold the head more vertical in the egg rather than an angle.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I'm not a fan of lighting the fire fast. Causes me to drink less beer. I'd rather put in my electric, sit and drink a beer, get up and check, drink another beer. Pull out electric and drink more beer while it comes up to temperature. Lighting it so fast causes less beer consumption that I am not a fan of.

Oh, 3 hours before I put the electric in... :)
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    PhilsGrill wrote:
    I'm not a fan of lighting the fire fast. Causes me to drink less beer. I'd rather put in my electric, sit and drink a beer, get up and check, drink another beer. Pull out electric and drink more beer while it comes up to temperature. Lighting it so fast causes less beer consumption that I am not a fan of.

Oh, 3 hours before I put the electric in... :)

And a celebratory beer for getting up to temps, and one more once the meat goes on. And sometimes, I'll pop another open wishing the meat of choice, good luck on it's BBQ expedition. :laugh:
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    Options
    Tom, congrats on your 2nd large. When you get a chance, can you let me know if this toy works well on leftover lumps please? HAppy father's day!
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

I would have to go pee too much and never get the food cooked.

That is one lighting method I have never tried. With the loop I would imagine it would be a good method.

Kent
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Gary,

Too bad I am just reading your reply as I just came in from lighting the egg for dinner. I used the weedburner and not the looftlighter. Next time I light the used lump, I will try the looftlighter.

Tom

Tom