Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast

Options
Wahooegger
Wahooegger Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do any of you experts have any advice concerning smoking a turkey breast? Temp, time, wood, seasoning? As a new, but eager egger, I greatly appreciate any advice you can pass along!

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    wahooegger,
    I've only done one breast, so I'm no expert. I was smoking some salmon and had room so I decided to add a breast to the mix. [p]I used alder chips, and smoked at 250 dome for 2 hours, indirect. I gradually increased the heat over the next hour and a half to 325 dome til the breast was 165 internal, pulled it and wrapped in foil to finish. It was a winner.[p]Have fun with your new egg. Also, you may try brining the breast for added flavor, but smoke is my favorite seasoning.[p]Scott

• PG
    PG Posts: 50
    Options
    wahooegger,
    Tim has a good section on his website about turkey breasts....I don't know how to post a direct link so copy and paste this......http://www.tm52.com/bge/ and that should take you to the ceramic cooking page. Scroll down the menu board on the left side....HTH.....Page

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Borders,
    Sounds about like my trial run with the turkey breast. This process works, just like you stated. I've tried this several times with simimlar results...always good![p]I like to brine the breast first, but the time, temp, and internals are right on the money...so is the fact that a nice chunk of Salmon will smoke up real nice at the same time![p]Mike in MN

• Borders
    Options
    Mike,
    Do you use alder or something else?

• Wahooegger
    Options
    Borders,
    Thanks, that's exactly what I needed, I'll let you know how it turns out. How do you brine? Also, have you ever tried apple for smoke?

• Borders
    Options
    wahooegger, Brining is a process that puts water into tissue cells and therefore moist meat. A basic brine is 1 cup kosher salt and one cup turbinado(raw) sugar to one gallon bottled water. Heat water just enough to dissolve the salt and sugar, and then chill in fridge. When brine is cold again, add the meat and put back in fridge for 1+ hours. A breast for example should brine for 2-3 hours. You can add garlic, and other spices, but no citrus. Before cooking you should rinse the meat thoroughly or it will be salty. Salmon experts often say the meat should air dry for about an hour til little crystal are visible. Brining has a lot more to it than this, but that's the idea. Do a google search at the bottom of the page for brine and you'll see what I mean.[p]Apple-love it. I have used a whole bag of chips since I got my egg 8 months ago. I have used it on all kinds of pork, pizza, chicken and fish. [p]I mentioned kosher salt and raw sugar. If you haven't learned yet, coarse kosher salt is the only salt to use with cooking. I didn't know that til I hit this forum, and it's key tip.[p]Good luck, Scott

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Borders,
    I use a combo of apple, maple, cherry, pecan and alder. All chips, a little handful of each, mixed in a plastic container with a dash of water , beer or wine, whatever is handy. [p]Poultry will pick up smoke like mad, so the Turkey will have a nice smokey taste to it. I like it sliced thin for sandwiches.[p]When I brine, I don't complicate things. I start with cold water, add salt, brown sugar, and nearly every seasoning, herb and spice in my cupboard. ;> And then I throw in a couple of bay leaves for good measure. I don't boil and cool, just stir and dissolve. Put the meat in and refrigerate. I feel even a couple of hours will improve chicken or turkey.[p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    Options
    wahooegger,
    Here's a link to answer every question you may ever have about brining. [p]
    Mike in MN

[ul][li]Brining 101[/ul]
  • Wahooegger
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]Thanks, Mike.[p]