Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PT Wood Question

Options
zflava
zflava Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I just purchased my Eggs a couple of months ago. Within a week I built a 6 1/2' long table for my XL (pictured below) made from pressure treated wood purchased at Home Depot for a total cost of about $125 or so. I'm not that knowledgeable about different types of wood. I just knew I couldn't afford $500 for a table. I knew I needed something durable so I figured why not PT since that's what my deck is made of. I've been happy with the look and use of it. However, I was reading through some table posts here on the site and was horrified by things I read about PT wood for egg tables. I was ready to pull my egg from the table and use it as a work bench. I then realized that a couple of the posts I was reading were from years ago. I started looking into the PT and the fact that the EPA banned the use of Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) to pressure treat wood for residential use as of Jan 2004 and Home Depot phased it out prior to the deadline. I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to the safety of current uses of pressure treated wood for egg tables. Any thoughts?

IMG_3847.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

Comments

• Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Am refinishing a yellow pine PT table right now. Thought it was cypress, until I sanded it down. Prev owner said he'd had the egg/table for 6 years, which would put my table in the time when the PT formulation was changing.

Nice job on the table, by the way.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Seal the wood with a clear water based acrylic finish rated for outdoors. General Finishes 450 is very good. Brush on, dries clear, water resistant, non toxic when dry. Start by taking the egg out and turning the table upside down and brush on the finish to the entire underside and legs. When dry flip upright and apply the finish to surfaces including ends. Two coats to horizontal surfaces with a light scuff sanding between coats. That's a nice table you built, you should be good to go.
    Just my opinion. ;)
    www.generalfinishes.com
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Clay Q knows whereof he speaks, heed his advice! B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • zflava
    zflava Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks for the guidance Clay Q. I will follow your recommendation!