Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Friday Fatty

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a couple more Boston Butts Friday for my daughters graduation party but I notice that the 2 I bought from Sams seams to have a lot of fat on the bottom. Is that ok or should I trim them? Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Dude!
    Almost at 1000. Nice!

Once cooked that fat peals right off. Nice thing about trimming it is you get more bark. Then again, it's a pain in the butt (har har) so why bother?

Butt instructions (as you know):
    1) add rub
    2) cook to all hell (195)
    3) shred and eat.

I have a shoulder in the freezer I've been meaning to cook up. I'm going more classic - rub. No more Cayenne butts. Will post when cooked.

Good luck!
  • Mark0525
    Options
    lol...don't start. People will start to bash me again. Why do you think I've backed off here :) Thanks for the tips. I thought it would just come off but I don't remember that much fat but I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Mark, I prefer to slide (cut) the fat cap 3/4, still leaving one end connected, and toss some rub underneath the cap so the meat get's some flavor down there too.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Great idea I will try that....Thanks