Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short intro & first spatchcock chicken

Options
jrterrier
jrterrier Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A lifetimer of w. Washington here, complete with rust. I know that's a fact because my joints are creaking. I was introduced to BGE's several years ago by a friend. About four years ago, my Uncle passed away, and I grabbed and ran with his old medium BGE (?... no brandname on it) which was in need of new insides. It won't hurt anything when we add a new seal too. We have used it quite a bit all along, but now, with new insides, we are having way more fun with it. Oh my, but it needed a new grill, firebox, and even the fire ring was broken in three places. I have done turkeys and chickens in the past but tonight was our first spatchcock readied chicken. Oh my, that is so much nicer a way to prep a bird. It cooked so much more uniformly. I am now watching for a "pump" to season with. [p]Years ago, at a 4-H camp, a now deceased friend prepared open fire cooked chicken for a mass of people. He first rubbed it with Morton's Sugar Cure, (just the salty part, not the other packet that comes in the box) and the results are absolutely marvelous. I think I ate a whole chicken that night. Since then, I have used it on spareribs, and after more smoking/cooking, they taste like bacon or ham. Yummmm! Remember it is basically salt, so go lightly! [p]Anyway, enjoying everyone's comments and experiences. Keep up the great work! You done good![p]Bonnie

Comments