Decided to try a "Permatex only" gasket. Ran a thick bead of Ultra Copper all the way around the lower rim and flattened it with a plastic putty knife. Sprayed with cooking oil and covered with plastic wrap. Closed the dome Didn't remove the bands... Top was well adjusted and I didn't want to screw things up. (mistake) Figured the Permatex would squish and fill any gaps. It squished, alright... some of it into the gap between the bands and the ceramic. A furious half hour followed... using paper towels and fingernails to get the Permatex out of the bands. Think we got it all.
Plan to leave the top bare. Will check things in the morning and let you know how the "lazy man's gasket" turned out. Hope I don't have to find out how to remove Permatex.