Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TARTE TATIN - you MUST have desert sometimes!

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC_1646.jpg

Background: An upside-down apple tart in which the apples are caramelized in butter and Casper sugar (ultra fine granulated sugar) before the tart (crust) is baked. Tradition says that this desert was created by accident at the Hotel Tatin in Lamotte-Beuvron, France in 1898. While there are conflicting stories about the origin the predominant one is that Stéphanie Tatin (one of two sisters) started to make a apple pie but left the apples cooking in butter and sugar for too long and they started to burn. In an attempt to rescue the pie she put pastry on top of the pan of apples and finished the cook by placing the pan in the oven. She served her guests the unusual dish hot from the oven and a classic was born. The Tarte became a signature dish at the Hotel Tatin and the recipe spread through the region.

Ingredients
- Tarte Tatin should be made with firm dessert apples: many cooking apples will cook down into a purée. This recipe calls for apples known to be excellent baking apples like Golden Delicious which are not typically used for American-style apple pie (Fuji and Red Delicious are also acceptable substitutes).

1/4 cup + 2 Tbls (half a stick) of unsalted butter
3/4 cup + 2 Tbls Casper sugar
8 Red Delicious or Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cored and quartered (approx. sixes)
1 sheet frozen puff pastry or Pie Crust

Preparation Phase I – Preheat Big Green Egg with Grid in place. When up to temperature place tatin pan on grid and dump in the Casper sugar; Create a Carmel and remove from heat.

Phase II – Remove Grid and replace with Plate Setter and Pizza Stone and close lid, stabilize temperature to 350 degrees. Add ¼ cup of butter and place apples (fit tightly), roll out pastry and tuck into edges of pan, place on pizza stone and close lid. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is done. Remove from heat and let set for 10 minutes. Invert onto the companion serving plate by grasping the pan handles with hot pads, and turn them over together. Gently lift the pan from the plate as the apples drop down over the puffed pastry. Serve warm; maybe with ice cream.

DSC_1638.jpgDSC_1639.jpg
DSC_1641.jpgDSC_1642.jpg
DSC_1644.jpgDSC_1645.jpg

By the way...learning to INVERT this will take some practice and apple juice is HOT!!!!

I also need a better puff pastry...the HyVee pie crust I used just didn't thicken up or brown appropriately. Tasted fine however.

Keep On Eggin'
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241