Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Self Cleaned Egg?

Options
FLbobecu
FLbobecu Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I was making personal size pizza's for dinner last night, cooking at about 600* for 2.25 total hours. We made a bunch of them.

Anyways, I think the firebox was a replacement (I got a heck of a deal on a used one) as it showed a bit of white ceramics (possibly indicating it wasn't too old). But it had decent black coverage (normal cooking wear/age).

I opened the grill this morning, prepping and cleaning for some ribs early this afternoon, and noticed the firebox is damn near completely white.

As you can see, the firering shows use, but the firebox "looks" new. Is this normal? It is ok?

dscn0161.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not just normal, but highly desired and recommended. Many users do a "cleaning burn" every few months to get rid of the crud. It is just like a self cleaning oven.

Let that high heat burn go longer and the fire ring and even the dome will turn that same color as the gunk burns away,
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Nice isn't it! I have been doing so many high heat cooks lately so I will just let it run and she is glorious. Yesterday I noticed a crack in my firering, which is normal over time, but I am sure it was brought on by my rash of high temp doings.

Also my once filthy PS is now clean as the day she came off the assembly line
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    You will have to change your handle to the clean burger or the burned off burger or the clean burn burger. :woohoo:
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    So if I just do this once a month or every couple months, it will help clean the fire ring and dome too? I was using the plate setter because I was doing pizza, so that's probably why the fire ring wasn't "cooked" clean.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    My LBGE is not quite a year old and my firebox looks pretty much like that. I do not do very many Hi-temp cooks either, a steak once or twice a month, pizza at 550 once a week. Most of my cooks are either low and slow or in the 350-400 range. I have never done a "clean burn" other than opening the vents for a few minutes after doing a spatchcock direct or something similar. The thing that I do is most always start with a full load of lump in the firebox. I clean out the ashpit, add fresh lump, mix it around with whatever used lump is there, and go. This gives me good, consistant fires, I have no idea if it adds to the clean look of the firebox, I only know that mine looks like yours.
    Just my 2cts :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL