Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help w/temperature control (low temps especially)

Options
mikenmar
mikenmar Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I've got a Large BGE, and I've done about a dozen cooks so far, mostly at higher temperatures (400+).

I have no problem reaching high temperatures, but I have a much harder time getting my egg back down to low ( < 350) temperatures. It seems like there's much more to it then just closing the vents to a small slit.

For example, it looks like once you get the dome temp over 450-500, it is nearly impossible to get it down below 300 unless you shut it off completely and wait a long long time for the heat to dissipate.

I take it that if I want a constant temperature of 300, I should never let the egg get much hotter than that in the first place?

So can someone walk me through it from the start? Say you want a temperature of 250-300; from the point at which you first light the fire, what do you do next? At what point do you close the lid and shut the vents to a small slit?

Also, how do you deal with timing? For example, suppose I want steaks with potatoes, corn, or other vegetables. I want to sear the steaks at high temperature (using the TRex method), and I can *eventually* get the dome temp back down to 400-450, but when do you cook the potatoes, corn, etc.? Is it possible to do this without a second cooker, and still have all the food done at the same time? Or should I just buy a second egg already? :)

Thanks for any tips. I did search through the forum, but haven't exactly found the answers I'm looking for.

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    See if this can help.

Good Luck,
    Bordello

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tempcontrol.htm
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    I am new to ceramic cookers, and have cooked about 10 times on my small. Maybe a few more.. who's counting!?

Anyways, I found by reading lots of info here and watching youtube videos, I was able to do a 12 hour butt and sear steaks despite the lack of experience. My third cook, I cooked Filet's (and they were outstanding) and a few days later, I did my first pork butt.

I have found a few things:

1. I use an electric charcoal starter for anything other than low-n-slow or anything under 300*, because it seems I can't or don't know how to catch the fire quick enough when using it. So when I do low-temp cooks (under 300) I use the starter cubes, because they burn a little slower, giving me time to adjust the vents accordingly for low-temp cooks.

2. When I TRex'd the Filet's, I was cooking at about 600*, give or take. Once I had the sear, I shut the grill down completely, and pulled the steaks. In just a few minutes, I cracked open the vents so the fire doesn't extinguish completely. This allowed me to lower the temps to about 425 in about 12 or so minutes, and I was once again roasting the steak to the perfect MR internal temp in about 15 minutes.

See this link for a little more help:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

3. It depends if you want to cook higher than 300*. If so, just allow time for the egg to cool and get to the approx dome temp you want to be cooking at.

4. Timing - Get a grill extender or an additional level grate and cook your main course on the main level and anything/everything else above it.

Other members are welcome to critique - I'm totally open for ideas, corrections, etc. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    mikenmar, First off keep in mind I am using an egg that has been cleaned out and has fresh lump or I am liting an egg using lump that has been burned before and has been stired so the ash falls off the partially burned lump and falls through the bottom lump grate and has been raked out.

I may do things differently than others and I may change to a better way but for now. Here is how I do it. I lite my lump with the top and bottom vents wide open. After a short time I close the dome and spark screen and watch the dome thermometer rise. If I want my egg to stabilize at 300° I will wait until the egg reaches 300° then close the bottom damper slider door one inch.

When the temp goes beyond 300° I close the bottom damper half way and wait. (Keep in mind the daisy wheel is still off)

When the temp goes beyond 300° close the bottom vent to about one inch open and wait.

When the temp goes beyond 300° close the bottom vent to about half inch open and wait.

When the temp goes beyond 300° place the daisy wheel on with the petals open and the slider half way.

As the temp continues to rise continue to close the slider until your egg stabilizes at 300°.

I may take 15 or 20 minutes maybe even longer. I often let my egg sit at my desired temp for up to an hour. This way all the bad smokes clears out and the egg will recover fast after putting a big chunk of cold meat in there. This way you don't have to chase the temps around just leave the settings where they are set at and the egg will recover in time.

Here is a post by Granpas Grub use it as a guide to stabilizing your egg.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=718915&catid=1

I also use a wiggle stick. http://thirdeyebbq.com/WiggleRods.aspx

Here is a very good post by Grandpas Grub.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=901811&catid=1
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    if you want 250, the egg should never see anything above it. it doesn't work to establish a big fire and then try to back down. the ceramics hold a ton of heat