Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't do what I just did!

Options
Mark from Utah
Mark from Utah Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dam, [p]I was just starting the fire in by BGE and I thought I would use the heater element from my old weber water somker. After starting the fire with it I pulled it out of the egg and carelessly set it on the side of the egg and burnt the gasket. There is now a nice big channel on the bottom gasket where the smoke is pourng out.[p]Does anybody know if there is any way to repair about a 3/8 inch wide channel in the gasket. My egg is only a few months old and I hate to replace the whole thing if I do not have to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Mark from Utah,[p]Now's a great time to order a roll, or two, of felt gasket material. Eventually you will have to replace the whole gasket and you will have it readily on hand.[p]I would think that you can take a 3/8 inch slice off the end of one of the rolls (there is usually a couple of extra feet in each roll left over) and squish it into place. Work it in a little and do a mini comb-over of the felt threads.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    pivotizer,
    I think I had two 6 inch pieces left over from the last time I did my large. Of course, if I had saved them, I could mail them to the gentleman, but of course, I tossed them. But then, I could cut an inch off of a whole one. !![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mark from Utah,
    If you think you can cut out the burnt section and scrape it clean, I could mail you a small piece of BGE gasket. Or do you know anyone in your area who might have an extra gasket? Like pivotizer says, you will have plenty left over from a whole gasket, so if you need an inch or so, you could cut it off of a new one and still leave plenty for when you use it to replace the entire gasket.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Good call, email me or TNW and we'll send you an inch.[p]In the interim, fashion some wadded foil and use it to plug the gap. Might take a couple of tries, but it should hold you over.

• Mark from Utah
    Options
    Hi,
    You guys are great. I just sent Naked Wiz my address to his email account. I read this forum and another one for people with hip replacements daily. I had my left hip replaced five months ago and my left to be relaced this November. I am only 42, but the hips just went bad. The hip forum is resposive, but not as fast and thourough as this one. I have learned a wealth of information from this and my new BGE is a great hobby for me while I recover from my hip surgeries, and after also. [p]Once again, I am amazed at how fast, friendly helpful and informative this site is. Thanks again, Mark