Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain shield

Options
Yazoo
Yazoo Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cap2.gif
<p />I've seen pictures of various devices sitting on top of the egg to keep the rain out and I was getting ready to make myself one. While I was at Lowes, I spotted a 6" galvanized shanty cap that fits perfectly over the duel function top. It cost $10 and is far better than anything I could cobble together. I couldn't find a picture of it at the Lowes site, but here's a pic of one that looks just about like it. I'll post a pic of what mine looks like when I get a chance. Anyway, I've read posts where other folks have asked about something like this so I thought I'd share it.

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Yazoo,[p]while I love the idea of making my own, I love the idea of Lowe's stocking one for me for just a sawbuck.[p]I will stop by on the way home.[p]Thanks Yazoo and thanks Lowe's!![p]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Mark Backer, actually you can find them slightly cheaper at other outlets. I paid 6.99 at Menards. The only hint I'll share and it is actually a warning is that when in use those things get incredibly hot so be use to never touch them when in use. You talk about seared meat!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    RRP,[p]Good call. Pretty shiny metal can make unsuspecting folks with college educations do funny things, like say "I wonder how hot that is" and then they touch it. [p]I will forward this home so when I do it, my wife can laugh knowing that i've been warned. [p]On a related note, are any of you familiar with the Off bug repellant sheets that come out of a dispenser like baby wipes? [p]Well, one night a couple of months ago, my wife, brother and sister in law, a couple of nephews, a few neighbors and neighborhood kids are out on my deck, and I went to get one but noticed that it had fallen back into the dispenser. You may know that the dispenser is kind of a star shaped hard plastic thingy. [p]So I took the lid off, grabbed a sheet and used my index finger to push the thing back thru the star grabber thingy. [p]Well, not knowing my own strength, I shot my finger thru that star grabby thingy to between the first and second knuckle. But when I tried to remove my finger, I realized two things:[p]One: despite starting to lose circulation, my finger hurt alot. [p]Two: No one is much help when they're laying on the floor laughing at you.[p]While I semi-panicked to find a knife or scissors to either cut myself free or remove the digit below the star grabber thingy, my brother in law read the label out loud to everyone there. I paraphrase here:[p]Do NOT use your finger to push the sheets thru the top as injury or stuckness can result. [p]Ha ha. [p]p.s. I did not lose the finger, but everyone is kind enough to bring this up from time to time for a hearty laugh...
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Yazoo,
    try a patio umbrella, the cook stays dry. the grill dosent really matter.

• Yazoo,Here is another 2 cents worth. Found this link--good price--lousy shipping!http://doityourself.com/store/6721492.htm