Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't We All Just Get Along

ChargerGuy
ChargerGuy Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I still consider myself a newbie, I have only had my EGG for a few months. I have done about 50 cooks on it so by no means an eggspert. I find this Forum a valuable tool and I take advice from here keeping in mind that some are more experienced than others. I think it is unfair the way some newbies are being treated for posting what works for them. The first thing I learned from this forum is that there is no wrong or right way just the way that works for you! Were you not a newbie yourself at one time or always an expert? I thought this Forum was for all to learn from and tell their experiences wether they work for others or not. I respect all of the posters here new and old. I don't want to see people scared off because they are being criticized for sharing! If you don't like what is being posted just don't respond. I hope I did not offend anyone here it is not my intention, can't we all just get along? ;)

Comments

• well said young feller!

and by the way EVERYTHING you've been doing is wrong! :laugh:
  • ChargerGuy
    FB,
    I knew it!!!! :pinch: :laugh:
  • ChargerGuy
    I hear ya Tweev, glad to hear I am not alone on this one. I don't want anyone to get discouraged to post as I enjoy most and the ones I don't I just ignore. No need to leave negative stuff!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Then why are you leaving negative stuff? Just have fun. It's easy to do. :)
  • ChargerGuy
    Steve, Just an observation, nothing negative.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Amen - the number of posts doesn't mean a thing. There's lots of good and valuable advice here and it comes from a number of sources. There's also a lot of self-righteous nonsense, and sometimes it comes from those same sources ;) Hell, if you don't find yourself contradicting yourself every so often it means you've stopped learning.

I am currently taking crispy spatchcock chicken lessons from from evenwhenitsraining - who's got a whole 26 posts to his credit, and who also makes a lot of sense. I'm going to certainly give his technique a try:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=902586&catid=1

Remember that the internet will tell you no, and yes, and yes, and no. Take it in, try it out, go with what works. Remember that's there's worse things than being able to eat your failures.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Tweev-tip. wrote:
    ... I don't know what LC problem was last night but she was sure gunning for a flaming. I all but resisted the urge to get involved. Good for me :)

Evidently you didn't follow the flow of the posts in the thread.

Little Chef is a professional Chef and knows what she is talking about. One should take the time to search out some of her posts & recipes and go further and cook them they may more enjoy what is being shared.

LC takes the time & effort to go into detail and post some great information. As the tread progressed it must have seemed to her to feel "why go to the effort of sharing the information". So she posted those thoughts.

As she said, let's advise all the new folk to start cooking their pizza at 600°-700° and higher temperatures and see what kind of questions we get about burnt pizza.

BTW... the high and very high temperature cooking of pizza hit the forum a couple of years ago. Some had success but the majority just burned their pizza and ruined their gaskets. Many posts about my dome is sealed shut to the base.

Just sayin

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    what happens when i hit 12000, im getting close :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChargerGuy
    Dave, Thanks for posting that I must have missed it. Love crispy skin!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Browine recipe. With her permission of coruse. :)

Mike
  • as the kids say, The Internet is Serious Business. About once a week a post like this comes up. People take things WAY to seriously.
  • fishlessman
    should have got my count up sooner B)
    fukahwee maine

• That's 16 posts a day.

That does not seem unreasonable if they were either helping those that asked a questions or replying to a post by another "old timer" (or maybe someone they met at an eggfest).

Besides, if you're doing a low and slow, I can see spending some portion of that time perusing the forum.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    PhillySmoker,

I'm pretty sure I know who he is referring to. He apparently doesn't realise that the forum changed platforms a couple of years ago. Sometimes appearances can be deceiving.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Follow the forum for a year and see what contributing members do here on a daily basis. For example helping people learn how the cook on their BGE and do it safely. Because time and time again extra high temps were used and then the forum has posts on how do I get my dome open my gasket has melted and I can't open my dome then you have to run a knife in there and take the dome off and scrape the gasket...do you read history do you listen to your piers...just saying suck it up! Take the cotton out of your ears and put in in you mouth. You may learn more that way. There is my .02 worth. Tim

Now what are you going to do send me a bunch of mad email. I have learned a hell of a lot frequenting this forum more than if I never visited here so something is good about it. If you don't get it...you screw
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    fishlessman wrote:
    what happens when i hit 12000, im getting close :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You turn in to a pumkin!
  • "I think it is unfair the way some newbies are being treated for posting what works for them. The first thing I learned from this forum is that there is no wrong or right way just the way that works for you!"

I think we'd all have to agree there are some basic do's and dont's regarding safety and proper basic use of the product.

For example:
    1) breaking in the egg and avoiding high temps for the first few cooks.

2) burping the egg to avoid "flashbacks" (more properly called "backdraft").

3) proven techniques for use of a drip pan. For instance with dry drip pan keep it elevated off plate-setter, for wet drip pan in direct contact with plate-setter don't let it dry out (and certainly don't add cold stock or juice if it does dry out).

As far as recipes and technique, what works for you works for you, a lot of it is a matter of taste. There are, however, some basic techniques that time and time again have proven tried and true.
  • what i wanna know is how a guy with 15 posts can get bumped to 'admin' level.

hahaha
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Yeah, kinda wet behind the ears for a mod. heehee
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    On the other hand, this Forum community is a microcosm of society itself. We have members from varying continents, ethnic background, economic level, grilling experience, and level of intelligence, not to mention a variance of opinion and general outlook on life.
    To expect everything to be lovey dovey all the time is unrealistic. IMO, for the most part everyone is treated with respect. But as in "real" life, there are sometimes statements &/or disagreements many may find unpleasant.
    Perhaps we should all learn to take things with a grain of salt. (granulated, kosher, sea, smoked, pink, whatever)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I disagree with your first point. What evidence is there that shows "breaking in" the egg and avoiding high temps for the first X number of cooks does anything to prolong the lifespan of the gasket or otherwise increase the longevity of the various parts of the BGE?

Other than that advice being perpetually offered here I've never seen anything resembling empirical data to show that this break in period accomplishes anything.
  • Hey, I am a newbie and need all the advice I can get and I didn't know that you are supposed to keep a dry plate setter elevated. What happens when you don't?

BTW, I have never looked at number of posts till this thread. I love this forum and have gotten great tips and feel pretty confident in my BGE cooking ability thanks to everyone here. Please keep the posts coming so I can continue learning. Thank you, Katie.
  • fishlessman
    add burping the egg may cause premature failure of the gasket exposing it to all that heat and why would one use a dry pan and an inderect setup under it :laugh: why why why :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Depending on temp, drippings may burn and smoke. The air space created by raising the drip pan helps to moderate the temp of the drippings and keep them from burning.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Let sleeping dogs lie....
  • I do ribs indirect and always used a drip pan. I've used both dry drip pan and one with liquid (stock, apple juice, etc). I think a wet drip pan will produce steam that passes up around the ribs, creating a mosisted cooking environment. A dry pan accumulates mostly fat from the ribs (the only moisture being what might come out of the ribs), which I think creates a more dry environment.

For me, my latest experience was that I think I got a better bark on the ribs in the dryer environment and skipping foiling (I use to always foil, which to me is more like steaming than BBQ).

This again is only my personal experience, your milage may vary.
  • fishlessman
    i avoid indirect setups as much as possible, it saves on lump. ribs i do raised grid direct most times and if i do setup something underneath its usually either just a pan or a pizza stone with some foil on it, i avoid cleanup so really don't use a pan much at all. i even cook pulled pork direct on a raised grid sometimes :laugh: there aren't many set rules, just a lot of rules based on whats been handed down that may or not apply to the cook at all, just what someone did once :laugh: ive never owned or cooked with a platesetter for instance, only purpose i see for all that heat mass is to stabilize and recover temps for bread making, i really see no other purpose for the thing but its praised to the end of the world as the greatest accessory on earth :whistle: why why why :laugh: isnt there enough heat mass in an eg to cook a pork butt, seems metal cookers can cook a pork butt but everyone seems to think its essential to cook one with a platesetter :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Since getting my Adjustable Rig, several years ago now, I have only used the plate setter 3 or 4 times and that was for pizza. However, the thick pizza stone on the AR works well.

GG
  • fishlessman
    pizza stone, a couple firebricks, a metal pan, disposable pan, for a low and slow it doesnt really matter imho. lots of plateseter pushers.
    fukahwee maine

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Lots of rig pushers as well.