Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How can I achieve Moist and Tender Ribs?

Topo Gigio
Topo Gigio Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]I’m new to egging and have tried low and slow a few times. I'm working my way upto pulled pork and eventually - gulp - brisket. I did spare ribs a couple of times and Country Style ribs (butt chops - highly marbled).[p]Everything I’ve tried low and slow comes out tender, but dry.
I’m from Toronto, so I know very little about BBQ (I used to just grill everything). After 3 attempts with low and slow, I’m starting to think everything low and slow is supposed to be dry and am becoming disillusioned with my egg. (No problem with high sear grilling though - absolutely fabulous TRex anything) [p]I want to acheive MOIST and tender ribs, preferrably without BBQ sauce. I want the meat to be moist. Is this possible? If so, can someone help me achieve this.[p]Thanks in advance

Comments

• Topo Gigio, here try this method and I know you won't be disappointed. This JSlot guy is a really great eggor but I don't think he can play golf worth a toot.

[ul][li]JSlots Ribs[/ul]
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Topo Gigio,[p]What kind of ribs and explain how you cooked them, preparation, rubs, sauce, cooking temps and time, direct, indirect, plate setter, etc?
  • a stick
    a stick Posts: 69
    Topo Gigio,[p]I did babybacks on my large BGE last weekend, it had been a while since I last did them. They turned out extremely moist but not mushy. I equate mushy to falling off the bone with no resistance whatsoever.[p]1. Squirted 3 racks of ribs with yellow mustard, then rubbed with favorite, uh, rub.
    2. Egg consistently at 250 with apple wood chunks, put ribs on without a rib rack. I laid them in a circle with bone side down. Why in a circle? I had a brined, beer-can chicken sitting in the middle.
    3. As an experiment, I put some Coke in a squirt bottle and squirted the ribs and chicken every 45 minutes or so.
    4. After 3.5 hours, I wrapped each rack separately in foil with .5 can of beer. Used Coors, guess in Canada choose your favorite Molsen product.
    5. After 1 hour I unwrapped the ribs and put them back on the egg. Kept them on for 30 minutes.
    6. Took the ribs off after 5 hours, wrapped in foil and let them rest for about 30 minutes. Very moist, not mushy and no sauce required.[p]Some folks will also suggest 3-1-1 (smoke 3 hours, wrap in foil for 1 hour, unwrapped 1 hour). My dad told me this after my cook this past weekend.[p]Good luck, let us know how they turn out!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Topo Gigio, one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago is named Topo Gigio [1516 N Wells St, Chicago, IL 60610-1308] – great place and really good food!
  • Gfw
    08_04_0018_21_02.jpg
    <p />Topo Gigio, take a few minutes and check out the link - they turn out just about perfect every time - recipe at top left and method at top right. Good Luck![p]
    [ul][li]Memphis Styel Ribs[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Topo Gigio,[p]Try putting a drip pan filled with water, apple cider or whatever under the ribs. That should help.
    JimW

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Topo Gigio, i cook mine on a raised grill direct at 225. always look for meaty spares and i stay away from the country ribs. i dont know what to look for with country ribs. cook them longer than you think they should be cooked. i like to sample at 4 hours,5hours 6 hours, sometimes they have taken 8 hours before they were right. the 311 method will make them more moist, but sometimes more mushy, not what im looking for. experiment with various techniques and you will find what your looking for

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    What is the 311 method?

• Gfw
    terrafirmay, check out the link - details provided.

[ul][li]3-1-1 or so![/ul]