Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowest searing temp ?'s

Options
Jolly Bill Barker
Jolly Bill Barker Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone.

What is the lowest temp that will put a sear on a steak?

Why is 650 better then 500? :blink:

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I get a good sear at 450 by putting the meat within 1 inch of the lump then finish it on a raised grid or reverse sear the same way.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I think this depends on how you like your steak.
    If you want bloody in the middle, then go 650 for a minute or two [depending on meat thickness] and you get sear and raw center.
    If you want well done, go 450 for a longer time, you get sear and done center.
    Takes a little eggspeariminting :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You aren't searing at the dome temp...remember that. Your searing temp is more determined by proximity to the burning lump than it is by the reading on the thermometer that is a foot above the actual searing.

I am in the minority, but I sear my steaks dome open. Dome temp means nothing. But like the PoolCritter I sear mine as close as I can get it to the lump. I also prefer my steak black & blue (aka Pittsburgh style) so this works for me.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Pool Critter...now that was priceless!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    Options
    What is black and blue? Is that blackened on the outside and topped with blue cheese?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Seared fast and furious and still extremely rare and cool inside. A very slight char on the outside is a good thing if done right.
  • Big Green Andy
    Options
    I find 500 - 550 produces a nice sear on steak. I've tried 650 a couple of times and found it burned easily and was borderline dangerous with the flame and heat coming off the grill (especially with rib steaks). I had much more control and better results at the lower temp.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    OK but ah...

What I am getting at here is that the reason to sear is to lock in the juices right? So how hot do you have to have a temp to seal the outside of the meat to accomplish this feat?

I just have a hunch that anything over 500 is overkill and unnecessary. However this is a hunch and my hunches have been wrong sometimes.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    Big Green Andy wrote:
    I find 500 - 550 produces a nice sear on steak. I've tried 650 a couple of times and found it burned easily and was borderline dangerous with the flame and heat coming off the grill (especially with rib steaks). I had much more control and better results at the lower temp.

We are thinking the same way.
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Jolly Bill Barker wrote:
    OK but ah...

What I am getting at here is that the reason to sear is to lock in the juices right? So how hot do you have to have a temp to seal the outside of the meat to accomplish this feat?

I just have a hunch that anything over 500 is overkill and unnecessary. However this is a hunch and my hunches have been wrong sometimes.

Not sure - however there are some steakhouses here that sear in excess of 1000*.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Jolly Bill....I have to agree with you, though as I have said 100 times...there are MANY correct ways to do ANY cook on the Egg. It is all about finding the method that works best for you! Personally, for steaks, I stabilize the Egg at 400-450*......just humming along with dome closed, and grid in the egg to pre-heat. I make sure the VOC's are burnt off, and open the egg about 3 minutes before I put the steak on. (let the coals come to life so to speak..)
    I sear the steak, turn a quarter turn to a new spot on the grid for the grill marks...and repeat for the other side. The only time I close my dome (lid) is if I get a flare up. I cook to 122* internal (for med rare), and allow to rest 10 minutes. Never been disappointed other than the off cut you may get on occaision.
    I will admit, we are not fans of the T-Rex method... don't like the charcoal/burnt taste. Like I said before, experiment, and find what works best for YOU. It truly is all about personal preference, and you will develop your own opinions over time.
  • Big Green Andy
    Options
    I think the sear is more to introduce caramelization to the surface of the steak and thus more flavour rather than to seal in juices. I guess it depends on how you like your steak. My experience with high heat searing on the egg (650+) produced burned steak that tasted bad.