Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

partial gasket repair?

Options
Beaumonty
Beaumonty Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Large Egg for ten days and have used it three times. I used it all day yesterday cooking ribs and chicken at various temperatures. At the end of the day, I lifted up the lid. Part of the gaskets had fused together and they separated from their respective surfaces because I pulled it up. That is, ten inches of gasket on the top is loose and ten inches on the bottom. I separated the fused gaskets but because they stretched, the gaskets bunch up and won't seal.

I am going to contact my dealer and see what they have to say. Nevertheless, I might need to make a call on whether I should partially or fully repair it. I have no idea how the dealers handle repairs. Since I am used to handling such matters myself, I thought a partial repair with factory gasket might be in order. The pieces would be mismatched but the egg is virtually new.

Does anyone have any recommendations or similar experiences? I'm wondering if I should have done something to the gaskets to prevent it.

thanks a mil'

P.S. the ribs and spatchcock chickens were a big hit.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Felt gaskets, umm, just DO that. Mine lasted slightly longer, but not much. Called the dealer and he gave me a Nomex replacement (which I decided not to use). Instead, I replaced mine with a Rutland gasket, secured with Permatex Ultra Copper. It has lasted for about 6 months now, through a bunch of 650-700° cooks and still looks fine. The gasket contains fiberglas and is not officially approved for use around food, but lots of guys here use it.

ACEimagegnetgraphicsproductimagespACEBW956156regjpg.jpg81878.jpg

Sure wish BGE would realize that their OEM gaskets and/or adhesive just aren't up to it!!

PS: You only need to put the Rutland on the bottom surface. Not needed on the dome.

PPS: Lots of folks don't even bother with a gasket, once the original inevitably goes south.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    It happened to both of mine. Contacted the mothership and both time they sent me out a new nomex. It seams it would be easier to install them from the begining. :S
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Sorry for the hijack:

Why don't people put the Rutland gasket on the bottom of the dome? Seems like it would be safer from dropped/misguided equipment, and I thought a fiberglass gasket would tolerate the heat from a flashback.

Carolina - could you give a couple details about using the Permatex, or do you just apply it like it shows on the TNW instructions?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know why folks don't put the Rutland on top and bottom, other than the fact that you don't have to remove the dome if all you're doing is the bottom. I do know that bottom only works for me.

I applied it pretty much as shown at TNW. It's not real critical, as far as I can tell. Just don't slop so much on that it oozes out when you press on it. Unless you want to decorate your egg with an orange stripe.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut