Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza dough on heated plate?

Options
Mawger
Mawger Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having issue with getting the pizza dough with toppings onto the heated pizza plate. Last one was a dismal failure. Or do you all use the pre-baked crusts?
I am having a pizza hunger. Thank you
Sandy

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    If by "heated pizza plate" you mean the "pizza stone" then there are a few ways to do it. A pizza peel is very common. Some use parchment paper then leave it between the crust and stone. I use an aerated pizza pan or pizza screen, leaving it under the pizza until crust starts to harden slightly, then pull it out for the second half of the cook.
  • Mawger
    Mawger Posts: 40
    Options
    You would have laughed to see the pizza we tried without
    this info. It looked like pizza soup w/o the liquid. Thanks so much for the help-I have parchment paper do I put the shiny side up or down on the pizza stone?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I don't think it matters which side is up, the parchment will keep the dough from sticking to the peel. -RP
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Here is how I do it B)
    Ready, on peel w/parchment paper
    4675388910_599a188a9d_b.jpg
    On the EGG
    4675389564_601826f3d8_b.jpg
    Ready to serve
    [img size=150][/img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4675390882_1766a4e788_b.jpgB) Capt Frank Homosassa, FL" alt="I don't know why the last pic won't come thru, tried three times, but I build my pie on the parchment paper after working the dough, then use the peel to transfer it on and off the stone, still on the parchment, works great B) Capt Frank Homosassa, FL" />
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Here it is
    4675390882_1766a4e788_b.jpg

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    I use a pizza peel sprinkled with semolina flour. Some people use corn meal, but I like the finer grain and more neutral flavor of the semolina.

The semolina (or corn meal) acts like ball bearings, allowing you to slide the pizza off the peel. Once the pizza is on the peel, I work quick to put the toppings on, because the longer its on the peel, the more of a chance you have of sticking. Give it a gentle shake every so often to keep it loose.

When the time comes to slide it onto the baking stone, you just shake the peel and "shimmy" the pizza onto the stone.

Might take some practice, but once you get it, it's easy as pie. Pizza pie. ;)

__Jason
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I use the Super Peel, and love it. Picks up the finished raw pie, and delivers it to the hot platesetter. Check it out.

Super Peel Link