Patties are NOT required by this recipe in fact you can choose if you want to make patties or croquettes. Merely make your choice to ball and bake or patty and grill this versatile recipe because the preparation and ingredients are essentially the same.
Clearly a lot of options exist; you can punt the Crab or the Salmon, replace both with Tuna. Mix it up to your liking or whatever is fresh in the fridge.
8-12 Oz. Fresh Salmon, flaked and 4-8 Oz. Flaked Crab (imitation)
Note: (total fish content should be approximately 1 pound)
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
2 Tbs. Yellow Beer Mustard
2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
Tabasco (red or green) to taste
4 Tbs. Butter (melted)
2 Eggs (Free Range)
1 Pkg. + 10 Saltines (fewer crackers increases moisture)
1 Medium Vidalia Onion, chopped fine
DASH of Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Seafood Magic
1. Fire up the BGE to 350-400 degrees then choose; Raised Grid (2”) and a griddle for grilling or, Indirect heat (via plate setter) and baking dish or griddle elevated for baking.
2. While BGE heats up - Chop the onions, Melt butter, Flake the salmon into small bits (ditto on the crab)
3. Mix all ingredients - Mash into Patties (1/2” by 3” approximately) or, Roll into Croquettes (about 1.5” round)
4. Grill for 6-8 minutes (turning once) until crusted or bake for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and serve with salad.
Paraphrased and updated from the original recipe by Susan Handy (Susan Egglaine) ‘Smoked Salmon Croquettes’ 2009Eggfest Cookbook page 72.