Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing Steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My question should be simple. When a steak is seared at nuclear temps for the alloted time period, then turned for the second searing, when you shut the temps down and dwell it do you turn the steak to the first side you seared or just leave it on the second side to dwell?

Comments

• UnConundrum
    Options
    TerryinBama,[p]Not sure I understand. Are you talking about the TRex method? There you sear the steak on each side, and remove it from the heat altogether.... place it on a plate or tray for the 20 minute rest while the pit temperature falls. When you put the steak back on the grill, I wouldn't think it would make much difference, but I usually put the first side grilled back on first.[p]On the other hand, If you're leaving it on for a continuous cook, I'd keep rotating the steak. The heat drives the moisture from the side facing the heat towards the cool side. The moisture can actually extrude out the cool side. Turning it, forces the moisture back towards the center of the meat. This is also why you let a steak rest after a cook....
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_07_0017_52_02.jpg
    <p />UnConundrum, generally whatever side is down when the 2nd side gets seared stays down - simple method and did it tonight (not the one in the picture) on 2 1.5 inch strips... 2.5 first side, 2.5 2nd side and 3.5 after closing the air on top and bottom. Remove, let sit for about 1 minute and you should get a nice medium/medium-rare steak.[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Hello GFW....your all on the dot. Watch that risin liquids in the meats. Pork chops, steaks, etc.
    I do basically the same Sear hot on one side for a minute, rotate, sear hot on the other side, rotate again, reversing grill pattern, sear again, and watch for the meat to start to sizzle. When I get the sizzle, I stop, close dome. Wait for the dwell, and this time is measured by the steaks thickness. 3, 5, 8 minutes.
    The only time I screw up is with my Buffalo steak when I try to show off. Speaking of which, I am heading for the freeze soon as I post this.
    Chow...
    C~W[p]