Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found a deal on some country style pork ribs ( $ .99 a pound) and need a decent plan on how to cook them. I lathered them with yellow mustard and refrigerated them in a Zip-Lock bag overnight. I want to eat about 5:00 PM. It's now 1:15 PM. I'm lighting the Egg in five minutes. Any suggestions would be eeply depreciated.[p]Spring Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Leroy!
    Hope you are well. I put together a little ditty on country ribs that many folks find helpful. Check the link below.
    Hot down there? Hurricane-free weather toya buddy.
    Chris

[ul][li]country reeebs![/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks... Now I at least have a starting point. Your recipe sounded easy enough. I'll give it a shot.[p]By the way, loved your back to nature photos. I could almost smell the clean air. I hope you plan to share more photos. The one with the lightening was fantastic. That's gotta be an award winner somewhere.[p]We're probably going to miss the current Gulf weather threat because of a "cold front" believe it or not. But the one behind it is just far enough away to become serious. Won't know 'til next week.[p]Spring Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Options
    RainbowCharlie.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    Yeah, the recipe is purty easy, and you could even go a bit hotter if you want. If you have the lean cuts with very little connective tissue they can be grilled like chops. The ones I had were cut up butts (probably the most common).[p]Glad you enjoyed the photos. I was hoping the off-topicness would not offend folks. The lightening shot was nothing but luck....$150 canon digital on automatic. Did not even expect lightening! And as I mentioned, it still freaks me out that 1/125th second happened to catch the only bolt I saw that day. Very, very strange. If I shot 1 picture per second for an hour, I would still only have a 1-125 chance of catching a bolt. This was just one picture....so who knows what the odds are. Purty lucky.[p]I took 700 pictures, so lots of editting to do. Here is one of my crazy buddy Charlie that was inspired by the rainbow. ~~[p]Well, hopefully that cold front pushes that storm somewhere else ferya. Good luck with the country ribs!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    country style ribs are actually cut uo boston butt.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    jwitheld,
    I did not know that. Thanks.[p]Spring Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Options
    jwitheld,
    Generally this is true, but it is not so clear cut. Often they are cut from the loin end of the shoulder, and cook up totally different. When I was up in Pennsylvania at Farmer John's, the farmers in that area had quite a different interpretation of country ribs, and they were not cut from the boston butt at all. Amazing how many different cuts you see labelled "country ribs".[p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    At my local Sam's the country style ribs are cut up butt. Fiunny thing is they take a butt run it through a band saw about 4 times and label it country ribs, but they don't sell whole butt at this store. Go figure.
    Anyway I coat them with mustard & rub, and cook them like butts till about 180-190 then cut / pull the meat. Very tastey, like a regular butt with more bark.

• basselope,
    The Sam's that I go to will not cut meat to order. How bout the one you guy's go to?[p]Jerry

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    t_=4581610
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    Here they are just about ready to come off the Egg. Took about six hours instead of five because I was waiting for my neighbor to finish up a project. They were delicious. Very tender. Sides were homemade biscuits, BBQ beans and cold slaw. If I change anything it would be to take them off sooner next time. Indirect at 275° with hickory and cherry smoking wood. Basted a couple of times with some BBQ sauce to keep them wet. Pretty easy.[p]Thanks for the help.[p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    33%3B53%3B4723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3A3334%3A56ot1lsi
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    Ooops. Try again.[p]SC

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Nice.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com