Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brunswick, Ga Brunswick Stew

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a real good search a couple a days ago and was surprised to find the poor offerings for Brunswick stew...in my n. ga neck of the woods some of the best in my memory would be the stuff that was offered at fund raisers at places like the VFW etc. Another example of what I call great B Stew would be a place in Rome, Ga called Troys. Anyway as I suspected the recipe below is on this same line and produced a great pot of stew even though I used deer meat for beef and omitted the pork. The meat was dusted heavily and cooked in the egg and one change I would make next time is to use a lot less rub, particularly the salt. Another would be to grind the meat. If the link to the recipe don't work I will repost it. [p]brunswickstew.jpg[p]

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Chet,[p]Here is the link to the same recipe I posted in the BGE recipe section a while back.[p]It is good stuff for sure.[p][p]
    [ul][li]Brunswick Stew[/ul]
  • Bob, I was so intent on getting that link done right I left out that: in my search for the right recipe for me , the closest I found anywhere was the one you are pointing me to. I intended to say and stupid me didn't just that; that the very best I found on the net was right here in the BGE recipe page. Thanks for pointing that out , I may not have ever realized my mistake.
  • Aardvark
    Options
    Chet,[p]Is it possible for someone to interpet what is specifically called for when an ingredient quantity is identified as "1 can". Different parts of the country probably have different default typical sizes for some of these ingredients.[p]This recipe sounds intriguing. I have always enjoyed stews, goulashes, etc., and I would like to give this a try.[p]Ted
  • Grumpa
    Options
    Chet,[p]I'm sorry... I was not meaning to point out any mistake... just wanted to let you know where it was for future reference.[p]Another really GREAT stew recipe is "Red's Brunswick Stew" in the recipe section. It has become one of my favorites also. [p]djm4x6 also has another one that he shares from time to time that looks really good and I plan on trying his when my freezer runs low again.[p]Happy smokin to ya!
  • Aardvark, 14 1/2 to 16 oz. cans is what typically is being referred to here in our area.

• Bob, not at all...I'm glad you did or I would have missed a very important part of my post...now here's a question for ya...do you think it would be worth the extra trouble to cook the stew in the egg even though the meat is already smoked...I'm thinking about doing another that way, I cooked the last one on the stove. Also did you grind your meat...one recipe suggested to do so and pointed out to let it get good n cold in th fridge first. That should give it a texture that I remember from a young boy years ago and one that resembles some of the best I have found lately like the one at Troy's in Rome, Ga and another here in Dalton called John's.

• Grumpa
    Options
    Chet,[p]I smoke my meats real good in the egg and then fine chop the fool out of them with my Hinkles (about the same as grinding them, but with a little more texture and less loss of bark). Then I just cook it up on the inside stove. I don't believe the smoker adds any difference that I can tell, although I could be wrong. Works well with beans, but stew comes out about the same to me.[p]I have had nothing but compliments on my batches of stew so I must be doing something right. I think if you give Red's a try with the beer in place of water, you may just find the taste you are looking for. I too am a "GA Boy" over here in Powder Springs. However, my family comes from the TN-NC hills.... you know.... where the REAL BBQ is made :~)[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Bob,[p]Here's a pic of some we did a little while back. Excellent recipe![p]brunswick-stew.jpg[p]Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    One more try...[p]brunswick-stew.jpg
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Chet, here is my recipe posted in the new recipe section:[p]Brunswick Stew
    Submitted by: Chef Arnoldi marnoldi@howamazing.com [p]

A hearty cool weather meal.
    Ingredients:
    • 3 lb Shreded, pre-smoked chicken • 1 Clove garlic finely chopped
    • ¼ Cup liquid smoke • 1 package cut & frozen okra
    • 1 bay leaf • 2 can 14oz corn
    • 1½ tsp salt • 1 can 14oz lima beans
    • ¼ tsp black pepper • 2 can 14 oz Swanson® chicken broth
    • 2 potatoes peeled & cubed to ½ • 1 Tbs vinegar
    • 1 can Hunts® 28oz crushed tomatoe • ¼ Cup vegetable oil
    • 1 can Hunts® 12oz tomatoe sauce • ¼ tsp thyme
    • 1 can Hunts® 10oz chopped tomatoe • ¼ tsp dry mustard
    • 1 medium size onion medium diced • 1 tsp worcestershire sauce [p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • Smoke chicken on the BGE til well done- when cool remove the skin & pull the meat off the bones,shredding it like pulled pork, Put aside. [p]Cooking Directions:
    • place all ingredients in a large pot & bring to a boil on medium heat 300°F, reduce heat when boiling & allow to simmer for ½ hour until flavors are blended.
    • remove bay leaf & adjust flavors with salt, pepper, hot sauce, vinegar or additional "liquid smoke" if desired. [p]Special Instructions:
    • optional:
    • 1 green bell pepper seeded & chopped into ½" slices.
    • Additional chicken broth or water may be added to get the right consistency. [p]

• Aardvark
    Options
    Chet,
    Thanks for the info. That get's me in the ballpark. It's all "art" from there on.[p]Ted

• Grumpa
    Options
    QBabe,[p]That looks fantastic. Good thing I've already had dinner or I'd be spooning my monitor :~)